German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My pup has solid poops in the morning but as the day goes on they get looser and at the end of the night she poops almost liquid. What does this mean?

I'm feeding my 12 week old pup Wellness super5 mix lamb barley & salmon. She eats about 3 cups a day (we leave the food out for her to eat whenever she wants). She also gets a slice of boiled beef roast in the morning.

She was on Earth options salmon & duck from the breeder but she was allergic to it (really itchy and a stuffy nose) and had pretty liquid poops, so the Wellness is an improvement already.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Has she had a fecal? Parasites (coccidia, giardia) and worms will cause a loose stool.
It's probably more solid in the a.m. because it's in her system longer (through the night). Note that the giardia test is a different test than the regular fecal. If that's all clear, could be the food. Did you do a slow transition? If so that food just may not work for her. Get her on some probiotics. I use probiotic miracle. As with anything new to her diet do so gradually.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
She's been on Wellness fully for about a week and a half. We took about a week and a half for the transition as well.

Does it mean she needs to be on a different food if she only digests it well if it's been in her system overnight? Or should I moisten the food to help with digestion?

She came to us at 8 weeks from the vet dewormed, but I don't know if she had a fecal.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
I would definitely take a fecal in and have it checked. What they normally do is check for cococcidia and worms, and treat if they have it. If after treatment they still have a loose stool they will test for giardia (different test). That test is about $35. I would just have them do both test at once to rule everything out.

On the a.m. better stool, I was just saying it's in her system longer (sleeping through the night) so it has more time to thicken up so to speak. Loose stool is typically stool that moves through the system too soon so it's waterly.

Rule out parasites/worms first. My 4 month old is on Wellness LBP and she has had loose stools since I had her. She had coccicida, hook worms, and giardia. We are on round 2 of giardia treatment. Next week they are doing blood tests to rule out b12 deficiencies. I think the food may be contributing but they didnt' want me to switch with everything else that was going on. If those tests are negative I'm going to try a food switch.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts