German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, sabo had good poop for the most part living in studio city and was on several foods due to his refusal to eat! We moved to the house on the 1st. Since then his poops are soft/formed in the morning or mushy/piles the rest of the day. He is solely on Merrick now, the buffalo one. I was tired of spending money on all kinds of food and said "forget it! You're getting one food, you will eventually eat!" And he does eat it. He is very much a grazer though, so he gets two cups (drinking cups, measures out to 4 measuring cups) a day that he grazes on. We have been to the vet and she wormed him, yet again, but other wise said he's fine. He has all his puppy shots. It's a bit hotter here, but he drinks water like its going out of style, so at least I know he's not dehydrated.

I want to try pumpkin to see if that helps. Anyone know the serving size?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
482 Posts
I think the serving size is going to vary based on the size of the dog and how bad it is. Experiment, start with small portions and work your way up, if your dog starts to strain move back to the previous portion and decrease as needed.

I would start with one heaping tablespoon and go from there....

Another option that is all natural and a little less guess work is Vetasyl ( I swear I should be a freakin sales rep for these guys! ) It is my go to staple and I always have it on hand. I see the stool headed to a soft direction and I add it. Works every time!

·
Banned
1,116 Posts
vet and she wormed him, yet again
Worming twice in a short period of time is not recommended for dogs with gut problems as it poisons the liver despite persuasive info that the tablets are harmless. Then, your dog won't run far with 2-4 cups twice a day. He wants to eat, and whatever you feed him simply tripples through him half-digested, without affecting his metabolic system which demands nutrition to process. Cooked chicken feet, cooked salmon with rice, and, definitely, you should provide him with raw bones, beef or pork ribs in small amounts. Bones will not only brush your dog's teeth, their chewed mass will brush his guts from excess mucus. Too much mucus prevents good absorption and could be one of reasons why your dog goes poop semi-vet.

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
Dry food is dry, so your dog may drink more to hydrate himself.
When we switched to a more raw type diet, our dog drank less because the food has more moisture. That was good as she is a very sloppy drinker.
We first tried a dehydrated raw, The Honest Kitchen. Very easy, add water, wait 5 minutes and feed. The company is based in San Diego so you'll probably have retailers nearby that supply it.

I don't think our dog, when she was a puppy ever had good, solid poops, then she got colitis. I think we tried almost every high quality dry, nothing improved her poops except the more raw type diet.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts