German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me where to find a good quality soft crate? The zipper broke on one of mine and I need a replacement fast. The one I had folded up like an accordian and I loved that. Would be nice if I could get one like that again. I would need one about 36" or bigger.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
What purpose are you using it for?
The best quality one I've had was an old style Cabana Crate, but they don't make them like that anymore. You might be able to find one for sale somewhere, though. The company that used to make them now makes a tent style/version: DoggoneGood!: Cabana Crate Ultra-Lite

It's a bit different from a traditional soft crate, though, and from the type they used to make.

However if it's just the zipper you may be able to get it fixed? Or if it's the edge where the mesh meets the zipper, you could also buy paw proof window screen material and patch it.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I have the cheap one that target and walmart sale. Mines has lasted awhile but I'm sure if I'm not careful the zipper will break. These crates are 25-30 dollars so if anything happens to it replacing it shouldn't be hard.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It will be used mostly for agility trials. I need to get it by tomorrow so I don't have time to order online. I wasn't sure if the ones at Petsmart are worth the money and I can't think of any other stores to get one from. It will have to be sturdy enough for a 70lb GSD.

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
I also use the N2N and like it just fine. I really like the ability to open the top, as the venues I compete in tend to get hot- even in the winter. So that was an absolute requirement for me. I also wanted window flaps that roll down, but N2N no longer offers this feature. The Canine Camper that MRL uses has this, but those crates are also no longer produced. I spent quite a bit of time looking into soft crate and settled on N2N from all the reviews.

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
I do like the look and features of the petsmart one. I especially like the add on pouches. The only gotchya is that I read that that model (which multiple brands seem to use) can sag on the top- so be wary of how much you stack on it.

Speaking of putting things on top- this is absolutely my biggest frustration with soft crates. Where I compete, crating is CRAMPED! There's no room to spread out and you get some seriously nasty looks if you take more space than JUST your crate(s). So you pretty much have to put stuff on top. The soft crate just can't hold as much as a wire crate, and especially if you want to open the top flap for more ventilation.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Opening at the top is a very big deal with me also. I found this on Amazon
. Is this what you are talking about the N2N? I guess I could order this one and buy a temporary/cheap one until that one comes in.

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
Yes- that is exactly what I'm talking about. And, btw, Amazon Prime paid for itself on that very order for me. $8.99 Saturday delivery if you order right now. (I think I ordered on a weekday and paid $3.99 next day) :D

And yes- you definitely want the N2-42 size.

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
It's reported that a 200 pound man can sit on the corner of a N2N crate without damage. I've never seen proof of that, but I do believe that they say that in their marketing material or something. It's a pretty bold claim for a tube steel folding crate. I doubt many of the competitors could say that (and again- I've never actually seen proof though).

[EDIT]- maybe this is where I read it:

"Sturdy and lightweight. When we tested this crate, we had a 200 pound man sit on a corner of the set up crate and it didn't budge! Now this is where we say, "Kids, don't try this at home, we are professionals!" Try sitting on the edge of another brand of soft crate (when it breaks, come to SitStay for a new NOZTONOZ Sof Krate)."

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the advice. I bought the N2N from Amazon. I will have to look into the Amazon Prime since shipping cost to get it here tomorrow would have been $90. Ouch!

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
Exactly. Amazon Prime costs $75/year and when I just put that crate in my cart, I could have it shipped to my house tomorrow for $8.99. Like I said- totally pays for itself in this one purchase.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Big Lots used to have soft crates, that's where I got my Noz2Noz crate cheaply, but I don't know if they still have them.
I get free Amazon Prime because a family member has it, you can add family members to your account and they get the free shipping benefit but not the free streaming videos or book borrowing stuff. Before that I had Amazon Student Prime, which costs less than the regular. They also have a version for parents with small kids.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Fiona has 2 soft crates from Walmart. She uses them for gymnastics. If I put her in and zip it up, she somersaults around the house with it. Hilarious to watch.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
I get free Amazon Prime because a family member has it, you can add family members to your account and they get the free shipping benefit but not the free streaming videos or book borrowing stuff.
Oh- I didn't know that! Thanks for mentioning! I can hook up my brother...

[EDIT]- it's within the same household only:

"you may invite up to four eligible household members (living at the same address) to enjoy the shipping benefits of your free trial or paid Prime membership at no extra cost"

·
Super Moderator
32,693 Posts
I have the N2N crates too, and I'm very happy with them. I bought a 42" for Keefer a long time ago, and it's so huge that TWO dogs fit in it easily! Keefer is about 80 pounds, and Dena was around 70-72 pounds:

I got a 36" for Halo (she's around 60 pounds), and it's plenty big. I set some things on top of her crate at flyball tournaments, and the top sags a bit in middle if I don't put them close enough to the edge, but the frame is very sturdy.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Big Lots used to carry the Dog Digs which is what I used to have but you can't find the large size any more. I found the medium at Tuesday Morning also but that is way to small.

Big Lots used to have soft crates, that's where I got my Noz2Noz crate cheaply, but I don't know if they still have them.
I get free Amazon Prime because a family member has it, you can add family members to your account and they get the free shipping benefit but not the free streaming videos or book borrowing stuff. Before that I had Amazon Student Prime, which costs less than the regular. They also have a version for parents with small kids.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm glad everyone seems to like theirs. I got the 42" so Rusti is moving uptown from her 36". This way Jerry Lee can use it also. Love your picture Cassidy's Mom.

I have the N2N crates too, and I'm very happy with them. I bought a 42" for Keefer a long time ago, and it's so huge that TWO dogs fit in it easily! Keefer is about 80 pounds, and Dena was around 70-72 pounds:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts