German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
9 yr old male, neutered gsd, rescue
Trooper has always been a chewer. He will chew stones, socks, tree limbs while he's hanging by his mouth. Neurotic type activity.

This weekend he was gagging as he was heading for the back door. Just before he made the door, out came a pile of vomit. It wasn't vomit with a bile soaked full sock. Ankle high sports sock. It could have killed him!

What in the world am I supposed to do with this dog?

He's chewed so much his teeth are worn down to his gums.

·
Registered
411 Posts
I'd try to redirect chewing to appropriate things, kongs, nylabones, etc. Be careful, one of my aunts almost lost a doberman pup to a chewed up and partially swallowed sock...a surgery and several thousand bucks later he was fine but it wasn't fun for her.

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
In my house I have to be extra vigilant of underwear and socks. Why can't people put them in the laundry room instead of leaving them on the floor?

·
Registered
15,138 Posts
Oh Bonnie, good thing he chucked it up.

Since he has already worn down his teeth, not sure a bone would be what you want to do.

How about some frozen ice treats. I know messy but much safer than socks and bones for your guy.

I take 1/2 gal milk jug, cut off the top, fill with water and freeze. Take out of the freezer, run under some tempid water to loosen and give chunk of ice to the dog.

Val

1 - 10 of 10 Posts