German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to socialize Rajko with TONS of people right now...we have been hanging out in public a lot. Almost everyone stops and asks me why his ear is green and says how cute he is, gives him a little pet on his back, etc. I also have let young kids play with him and give him treats. However, generally speaking, what should I be having these strangers in public do?

Is just having strangers walk up to him and pet him enough? I'd say over half the time he doesn't even seem that interested in them..just kind of looks up at them, lets them do the petting and sits or lays there and acts like he could care less. Is that good? Should they hold him, feed him, etc?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I wouldn't get him into the habit of accepting food from strangers. People can be cruel, i.e. throwing food over the fence, etc. I would think just talking and petting would be good enough, and playing with family friends maybe...

What does everyone else think??

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
If you are worried about that, you can give him the treats, it looks like you dont need the strangers to give treats since he seems fine with them. I would continue being out in public doing things you will be doing later, going to the park, walks and around dogs as well.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts