German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Enoch is 4 and half months old. The only dogs he has been around are his sire, dam and grandsire. My breeder also has another GSD and a JRT. He played with them well and seemed to enjoy himself. Today at the park I ran into an acquaintance who had a 4 month old Bulldog. Enoch sniffed her and then he backed away. He would go up to her again and back away as if he was scared. He wasn't scared at all of the owner but he seemed to be timid around the dog. Now, I don't care for him to play with other dogs necessarily but I also don't want him to act fearful when other dogs are around. The one hopeful thing was although he would back away he kept coming up to her and sniffing. Any thoughts or suggestions?

·
Registered
411 Posts
when i rescued my dog he was totally untrained and unsocialized. At 18months he had never really been inside...

I taught him how to use stairs our first night home. he was so unsocialized to other dogs that got super hype and lunged on his leash to get to them, and then if the other dogreacted in any way other than completely submissive he wanted to kill them. It took a lot of work to get him better. like a year of classes, daily exercises and I still have to constantly watch him interact with other dogs, because he'll still fight ANY dog who tries to be dominant over him.

My point is that you can easily avoid bad problems down the road by socializing now. your dog is still young. make sure he's fully vaccinated and then go out and about to places likely to meet other dogs. Take a tasty, high value treat with you. Give you dog praise, pets and treats when he's around other dogs and being good, even if hes still timid. the point is to develop a very positive association between your dog and other dogs. To your dog being around other dogs should = praise, petting and good food treats. hope that helps.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts