German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, im sorta new to this website and one of the reasons i came here was to see if someone could recommend any places where i can exercise my puppy and maybe socialize it when its young. Is the woods/trails a good place to walk a dog that has not had all of its parvo prevention shots. Thanks guys..

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
When my Sting was a puppy before he had all his parvo shots, I was careful to walk him where there weren't many dogs. So, I didn't take him to the parks, trails, and other popular dog walking areas. I did walk him on the sidewalk by office buildings and schools, where he could watch other people and children. I also would sit with him on my front porch steps so he could watch the cars go by, and children on skateboards and bikes. I would walk him to the corner again being careful to stay on the sidewalk.

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
When my Sting was a puppy before he had all his parvo shots, I was careful to walk him where there weren't many dogs. So, I didn't take him to the parks, trails, and other popular dog walking areas. I did walk him on the sidewalk by office buildings and schools, where he could watch other people and children. I also would sit with him on my front porch steps so he could watch the cars go by, and children on skateboards and bikes. I would walk him to the corner again being careful to stay on the sidewalk.
I've socialized young puppies by placing a bed in a cart at Lowes and other stores that allow pets in them. They sit/stand on the bed and get wheeled around.

·
Registered
856 Posts
I agree about finding out how prevalent those viruses are in your area. Contact your vet and perhaps ask for some exercise recommendations or places they believe would be safe. Personally I'm of the opinion that GSDs do not need to meet every single person on the street or every dog in the area, but should have exposure to new sights, sounds, and different environments instead. If you can, you could always carry your puppy around with you in new environments, go for car rides to new locations and just sit there and soak it in while playing tug, etc. As always, pay attention to how your puppy is taking things in.

There have been several threads posted recently about what "early socialization" means, as well as plenty of great articles too:
- Leerburg | Socializing Puppies a Pushy Puppy
- The Dark Side of Socialization: Fear Periods and Single Event Learning ? Dr. Jen's Dog Blog
- More Harm than Good: 3 Reasons Why I Never Socialize my Puppies | The Collared Scholar
- http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-puppy-stuff/400690-rethinking-popular-early-socialization.html

For exercise, do you have a backyard? If so, I would imagine backyards are plenty enough for getting adequate exercise when they're young and haven't had all their shots yet.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts