German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
in winter? It looks like my puppy will likely be born around November/December and I'd really love to do Splash Dogs with the little guy since there are several local competitions throughout the year and I'm already immersed in the community through competing with my current dog.

I have 2 friends with in ground pools(not heated) and a local lake as well, but would it be too cold for a puppy?

45 degrees Fahrenheit is about average for us during December and July.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
i don't know if 45 degrees fahrenheit is to cold for a pup. since i don't
know i would trust my pup's reaction to the water.

·
Premium Member
16,483 Posts
Keep plenty of towels and a place for the pup to get warm but I know mine would break through ice to play in the water and have no issues laying down in cold streams.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
my dog has been in water that i questioned whether it was to cold
but there were a lot of dogs playing in the creek that day both big and small.

Keep plenty of towels and a place for the pup to get warm but I know mine would break through ice to play in the water and have no issues laying down in cold streams.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Chaucey hates the water, even giving her a bath is a **** mission. She yelps screams and cries the whole time! We've put her in the pool with us and she just can't wait to get out, idk but I think the pup either likes the water right off the bat or they don't

Sent from Petguide.com App

·
Banned
1,157 Posts
mine would scream like its dying when i give him a bath but will eagerly jump into the lake to swim. my dog would lay outside during a blizzard for 30 minutes just enjoying himself. im not too sure if letting a puppy in that cold of water is a good idea though. they dont even have their adult fur yet.

·
Registered
32,360 Posts
In California???

Unless you are in the mountains, I doubt it will get to cold for the puppy. I take mine swimming as long as it hasn't been belong 40s at night and the air temp is still 50 during the day.

Get him a kiddie pool until he gets big enough to swim.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The pup is from a repeat litter and the current puppies have been water dogs. Several owners shared pictures of them diving underwater for toys at the lake.

As for getting too cold, I know my boy who has a short GSD coat can handle freezing mountain waters (He can even handle water in the snow)
His coat:
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/ad178/i_heart_dakota/Second/30mbs131.jpg

I was mostly worried about a puppy's ability to handle the cold vs an older dog, but keeping the car running with the heat on close by and towels on hand would help prevent issues with that.

I'm also a tad worried the puppy will go "eww cold, nope.". But I plan to socialize to water around 11 weeks.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
We didn't socialize Cruz with water until he was around 4 to 5 months. He still did fine. It took a short time to get him into the kiddie pool but once he did he loved it and hasn't looked back. The sprikler is his favorite playtime, we just had a 30 minute playtime today in the sprinkler! He didn't want to stop.

I'd just play it safe with limited exposure to the cold water. My concern would be hypothermia.

·
Registered
47 Posts
My boy just turned a year on the 12th and only started swimming last month. I tricked him. Took him to the creek, threw a stick into the deep end and his instinct made him run without looking. Oops. Deep end. After that he loves it.

EDIT: When it comes to bathing I just took control. He would fight but I would remain steadfast with the leash. He eventually got the message.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts