German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Happened upon this site which is geared toward shelter dogs and their training in socialization
skills to make them more adoptable.

Because many GSD have problems w/ other dogs I thought it might be interesting to those with
dog reactive pets.

My rescue GSD, Heidi, had this problem when I first got her one year ago. My adult son has been
working with her once or twice per week on city streets and dog parks to help her learn that other
dogs are not all bad. They can be fun and learning to have social skills and manners is part
of getting along.

There are many video's here to show how they introduce dogs and how within a few play sessions,
the dogs learn to get along and enjoy playing well with others. Kudos to tim_s_adams who
posted this website a day or so ago. And before you give up and doubt your dog can ever reach this stage of socialization, my experience with Heidi, who was a hardcore wacko about other dogs, has thoroughly enjoyed learning her new social skills and opened up opportunities to go
anywhere dogs are allowed.

https://dogsplayingforlife.com/videos/

·
Super Moderator
7,710 Posts
Interesting videos!If only owners and adopters could be trained to read and handle their dog's interactions properly.

Reactions: Orphan Heidi

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The county shelter in my area now has FREE Obedience classes weekly for all new adopters. I didn't attend as my rescue
took time to even be safe in that environment, but I think for many it's a step in the right direction.

Yes you're right, many owners just don't have a clue. Another reason to try and make our own dogs safe in public places.

·
Registered
5,268 Posts
Interesting videos!If only owners and adopters could be trained to read and handle their dog's interactions properly.
They can! Just volunteer at a shelter that has play groups and watch and learn!

ETA: Here's another cool video. I believe this is the largest dog shelter/sanctuare in the world. Talk about a large pack walk!

Reactions: Orphan Heidi
1 - 4 of 4 Posts