German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
We have had our new puppy Osa for a week now, she is 8 weeks old. We got her from a great breeder and the day after we brought her home from the breeder we took her to the vet and she checked out perfect.... we love our vet and respect him very much. I was really disappointed though when he said she could not go to puppy class at 10 weeks because all her vaccinations won't be done till 16 weeks. He said basically that she can't go out of our fenced back yard for fear of Parvo and Distemper....
I keep reading about all the socialization that needs to be done in these next few weeks.... but now we are afraid to take her anywhere.....We have two adult dogs that *tolerate* her right now..... :) So she isn't totally isolated.
I really want some feedback about what everyone else does.... and why are there so many puppy classes for 10-12 week old puppies if it is too dangerous to take them out? How much socialization are we losing and how great is the danger really? She is completely vaccinated up to this point, (not behind) so that is not an issue. Any takers?

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
while I am paranoid about any puppy I get picking up something, your right, I want to get them out and about.

I tend to take them in the car with me EVERYWHERE, only take them out say, at people's houses/relatives I know are dog safe. I wouldn't take her to stores/petstores, that type of thing, or dog parks.

Soooo go visit all your relatives and people you know and take her with ya:)

·
Registered
27,270 Posts
Take her places where strange dogs don't go. Human interaction is just fine for now, different surfaces to walk on, sounds etc are all things to expose her to.
If she is of good breeding/temperament and sound nerves the lack of socializing won't hurt her. At 8 weeks she should only have had one set of shots. I follow Dr. Dodds vaccination protocol taken from this site:HEMOPET.HTM

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I have a few friends that I absolutely trust to have their dogs completely vaccinated.... who have said we can come by!! Others such as neighbors that we know only casually I'm not so sure about....
@Onyx, yes she has had one set of shots as of 8 weeks....

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
i got my pup when he was 9 weeks old. he was in puppy class at 10 or 11 weeks old. he had to have his 2nd round of shots before he was allowed in his puppy class. i invited lots of people to visit us for socializing/training.
some people brought their dogs. i stayed away from pet stores untill he fully vaccinated. after his 3rd round of shots we went to the Vet 2 or 3 times a week for mock exams, rides on (up and down) the exam table,
cat socializing and treats. there was no charge for socializing and training at the Vet. i use to hang out at the Supermarket, 24 hour store for socializing/training.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts