German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks

I would like to hear what kind of socialization did you do with your pup prior to them finishing the vaccination series( which usually ends around 16weeks)? I know how important it is to socialize and expose your pup to stuff but i also don't want to put them in harms way( my last dog when he was a pup and hadn't had all his parvo shots i completely avoided areas at the park where a ton of dogs were. I was thinking of doing the standard puppy social class( where you have to show you got the first round of shots), home depot, lowes dog friendly stores where i can cruise my dog around in aradio flyer or wagon off the ground. Any other thoughts and ideas? I live in california where we continue to be on covid lockdown and all dog friendly restaurants are closed except for takeaway.... I'm hoping when I get my pup in the spring things will be a lot better...thanks in advance for any and all suggestions...

·
Registered
32,588 Posts
Best socialization article ever

·
Registered
Jazmine Auf Der Marquis
553 Posts
Having lost a puppy to Parvovirus, I’ll tell you to stay away from other dogs and places other dogs frequent. Spend time while waiting for all shots bonding and exposing your pup to many sights and sounds from a distance.

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
You can drive places and let your dog hang out in the car watching; you can carry them (while you can). They don't need to meet other dogs nose to nose. They don't need to meet them at all, really.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
7,333 Posts
I did not do enough and I regret it. You don’t need to go overboard, but your dog needs to experience a lot of different things, textures, people. My next dog will have people over more. It’s impossible now, but there are still ways you can expose your dog to more things.

I borrowed a baby stroller from a friend whose children outgrew it and we walked around in that for a month. He loved it. I used a harness to anchor him in so he would not climb out. He even met a cat face to face. But even that, I didn’t do enough. One sitting cat is not the same as ten running cats.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts