German Shepherds Forum banner

41 - 43 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
The video kinda hit home for me...that is our boy only 6 months old and 60 pounds. Our first dog as a couple, my first dog in...gosh around 8 years!! A shepherd mix from a rescue group. I am used to Dobermans and poodles. My boyfriend has never had a dog before.
In the video when he mentions good breeders wont sell a high drive dog to first time dog owners, I feel that rescue groups should do that too. Maybe some do, the one we went through did not. They showed us a pom mix puppy, and while she was cute, we did not want a small breed. As soon as we said this they took us to the foster home where there was a litter of shepherd mix pups and their mom. Only 2 pups left, and yeah we choose our boy because he was laid back, cuddly and sweet. Got him home...yeah now not so much. I think because the pups were a little older, not the "super cute and fluffy 8 week old very adoptable" age, and I do have experience with larger breeds, we own our a home with a decent sized yard and had vet recommendations, the rescue group figured we were perfect!! While my boyfriend did want a shepherd mix, I feel like the rescue should have taken into consideration that this was our first dog as a couple and shown us other litters or older dogs that they had...

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Call me crazy but is that video really of a high drive puppy? Looks like every puppy I've ever seen behavior, or maybe I've just always owned high drive dogs? I expect a happy healthy puppy to be playing and getting into mischief. Weird..

Fluffy I think a lot of rescues do now list the drive of the dog and won't give a high drive dog to a family they won't think has the time or will put in the effort.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Most puppies are very energetic then settle down after the age of one. When you buy a puppy its hard to know for sure what type of temperament they will have as an adult or how they will look for that matter. The only way you know for sure is to buy an older puppy or adult dog.

41 - 43 of 43 Posts