German Shepherds Forum banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
mental stim?

My pup, 9 months, is probably high drive. After a full day of doggy day care, where I am told he plays non-stop, except for an hour rest mid day, he is still wound-up when he returns home. Now, I know it is because he is tired. Sometimes he will crash after an hour or so. sometimes not. I can crate him and he settles right away. I prefer not to have to crate him. He is not very treat motivated. he loves bullysticks but wont take them EVERY time either. Are there mental stimulation that can be suggested. An additional walk is not what is needed. I diagnose him as being like an over tired child who gets wound up.

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Thor is starting to remind me a little bit of the puppy in this video. God help me.

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
If my puppy acted like the one in the video I'd probably be worried. Drive does not have to mean hyperactive energy and no ability to act normal in the house and settle down. Pan has the most drive of all my dogs (just the right amount for me and we do a lot of sports) and he was not like that *at all*. He was never mouthy, did not tear and rip at anything he could (though he did like to chew small things), wasn't really that pesty. He was very bold and confident but also mellow and chilled out. I could take him anywhere and people loved to me him, he was not darting around pulling at peoples' pants or anything like that.

Reactions: Amshru

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
I think I just need to get him out to play more. My dad has been ill, so my puppy time is limited right now. When I had Thor at the vet, he was AWESOME...so much more settled than Shasta. But last night...OMG. Like the puppy in this video for sure.

·
Registered
780 Posts
I was beginning to wonder if Spirit might be high drive, but I think the more likely explanation is I'm old LOL :cool:

I am curious though -- how does the ease with which dogs develop obsessions (and I use that word rather loosely) relate to drive? There are a few activities I have found that Spirit will latch onto with continuous focus for long periods of time, to the point where I can wear him out with just one of these activities.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Is there a certain time when they turn into a high-drive puppy??
The pup I'm dog-sitting for is really hyper always running everywhere but my pup (9 weeks) is very chill. Likes to chew a lot but doesn't really want to run or fetch or anything. He prefers to lay by the door and chew.

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
Is there a certain time when they turn into a high-drive puppy??
The pup I'm dog-sitting for is really hyper always running everywhere but my pup (9 weeks) is very chill. Likes to chew a lot but doesn't really want to run or fetch or anything. He prefers to lay by the door and chew.
Mine came that way :crazy:. He will lay down for about five seconds, then he's up again. He's everywhere. Last Friday after a 3.5 hour drive to my MIL's house, and out looking at a duplex for rent, then waiting for dinner, then a couple walks, he FINALLY slept on my MIL's kitchen floor for about 10 minutes. It's the first and only time I've EVER seen him sleep. To me, this is high drive. It takes an entire day of stimulation to create a situation where he'll sleep, and it's only once. He can go forever. I have to crate him so he'll rest.

·
Registered
228 Posts
oh my god, im glad my pup isn't like the one in the video. not that it's a bad thing but that high energy would be a bad match for my house. my puppy plays in the sun chasing the flirt pole and when she starts panting after 10-15 minutes of chasing, I know she's getting tired. She'll chase and chase but rarely she will just sit down. She also has plenty of energy but she's never sprinting around the house, she's like half the intensity of that puppy. I hope it doesn't blossom out of nowhere haha

·
Registered
156 Posts
After having shepherds my whole life I thought I understood what high drive meant after having 2 growing up. It wasn't until I got my own that I REALLY understood! Its a good thing I love her!!

Attachments

·
Registered
86 Posts
Anybody know where this puppy is now. Video is three years old I wonder if there is another video showing how the dog is now with the proper training.

·
Banned
1,116 Posts
Very healthy puppy, intelligent! This little thing in video is a potential Champion! Was born for competition. The owner is a very lucky person. Is he a GSD?

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Anybody know where this puppy is now. Video is three years old I wonder if there is another video showing how the dog is now with the proper training.
Yes, and here she is with a littermate with a friend of mine. I think she turned out rather nicely. Much like the rest of the litter. I think all have at least the first leg of their Mondio I .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUAAvEXWZOU

·
Registered
54 Posts
I am a runner so I love having high drive dogs. My two year old is pretty content to wear herself out in the yard, but I think the puppy will be more energetic. I love being able to have a companion when I'm gonna run for an hour or so. It's also nice to feel safe enough to run by myself in the national park.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
3,779 Posts
High drive and high endurance have little to do with eachother.

·
Registered
27 Posts
"So you think you want a High Drive puppy video"

I tried that exact same pen the first day I brought my pup home, within the first 15 hours he learned how to escape, at first I couldn't figure out how he was escaping.

I saw that he was actually climbing up the fencing till he got to the top, then somehow balanced himself on the top of the fence, and hopped over.

It surprised me to see a little uncoordinated pup doing this. The gate had to come down the following day, as it proved to be absolutely useless, and I was scared that he might injure himself.

The pup in the video seems more active than mine ever was at that age.

·
Registered
97 Posts
That's our pup for sure LOL she has these moments where even after we've had a long walk, and a long play, she just goes skitzo and does zooming figure 8's around the backyard or house. When she's in these moods NOTHING gets through to her. Doesn't listen to commands, jumps on the furniture she knows she's not allowed to jump on, and barks like crazy. This is usually a precursor to a nice long nap though, and thankfully it doesn't last long. Our breeder chose her for us (she was sent to us via plane) and we cursed her long and hard for weeks haha especially when she put her sister up on their Facebook page claiming she's "calm, sweet-natured, low drive." I actually Unliked her page at that point! we wouldn't trade our girl for anything now but she definitely keeps us on our toes :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm probably one of the few who had a english bulldog that was balls to the wall CRAZY. We had just had a our pool guy come do our monthly cleaning when Duke was just 6 months old. Being filthy from digging under the fence, he jumped into the pool, carrying everything else that was on him. This was only the beginning. My neighbors HATED him but they just didn't understand the energy that he possessed.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts