German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read a post some weeks ago from some one who loves this breed like we all do and is active in the show ring. However, in one of their educational posts they stated that many of the working lines cannot out work a show line(ASL)all day in the field in terms of herding. I'm assuming this has to do with the differences in structure? In your guys opinion would you believe this to be true? I know some working lines can be extremely prey driven and might not be the best herder. What are your thoughts?

·
Premium Member
239 Posts

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
The working lines were originally called working lines because they truly worked as herders. The American and European show line breeders have exaggerated the structure of the breed so much, their ability to move correctly has been hampered. The dogs that will do the best in herding are dogs from herding lines, but the really good herding lines are all but gone. Movement and endurance was part of their strongpoints, but genetic obedience, which instinctively gave them the knack for herding is why they were true herding dogs.

·
Super Moderator
2,503 Posts
I read a post some weeks ago from some one who loves this breed like we all do and is active in the show ring. However, in one of their educational posts they stated that many of the working lines cannot out work a show line(ASL)all day in the field in terms of herding.
Has the author of the article successfully competed in herding trials, or do their dogs perform real farm work regularly?

Have the author’s dogs outperformed (either by beating in competition, or other objective measure) GSDs from other lines?

If not, I would not give the article much credibility.

If so, then I would dig deeper, and look for video and specifics.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts