German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when there is even an inch on the ground

Took Koch out yesterday morning after being in her crate for 8-9 hours of sleeping and she would NOT go to the bathroom, typically she goes right away. ALLLLLLLLL she wanted to do was be a little snow bunny.

i can't be alone!

·
Registered
114 Posts
This is exactly why you should teach your dog a potty command. This lets them know they must go potty. They also need a release command to let them know that you are not going to leash them etc. and they can go play. I am very concerned that you have this problem. Have you spoken to your behaviorist?

·
Registered
30,372 Posts
She's just busy and having fun! We haven't had enough snow to play in yet. Banshee used to spend all her time diving in the bottom of a snow drift and coming out the other side. The novelty wears off and then you have to coax them off the porch to go.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
I blocked off the only exit off of my large deck. now i let ramsey out on the deck and watch him to make sure he goes. much easier for me to go on potty pickup rather then walk around in ankle deep snow searching for poop. for him its no potty then no play in the snow.

·
Registered
397 Posts
2dogs said:
This is exactly why you should teach your dog a potty command. This lets them know they must go potty. quote]

Sassy has a potty command, but this is her first snow and all thoughts have gone out of her head -except-gotta to play in the snow

·
Super Moderator
16,941 Posts
Originally Posted By: 2dogsThis is exactly why you should teach your dog a potty command. This lets them know they must go potty. They also need a release command to let them know that you are not going to leash them etc. and they can go play. I am very concerned that you have this problem. Have you spoken to your behaviorist?
whahahahaha!!! And all this time I thought 2dog was just negative and critical. Turns out it he has a great sense of humour with undertones of subtle irony and satire!

Puppy forgets to potty because she is too busy playing in the snow . . . cause for concern? Too funny!

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Originally Posted By: 2dogsThis is exactly why you should teach your dog a potty command. This lets them know they must go potty. They also need a release command to let them know that you are not going to leash them etc. and they can go play. I am very concerned that you have this problem. Have you spoken to your behaviorist?
you had me until the behavorist

sadly she does have a "potty" command, but that doesn't do much good with 2' of snow!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Nope, you're not alone. Buddy gets so excited the second he gets out in the snow. Isn't it so awesome to see?

·
Registered
74 Posts
That is hilarious!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
i think we got 2 feet here. i shoveled a path to the back yard.
my dog was funny. he stayed behind me as i shoveled our way.
i took him out twice before going to bed. i don't think he went
either time. he was loving the snow. i figured if he had to go in the middle of the night he would let us know. he went when i let him
out this morning. my dog loves the snow. this is his 2nd time
seeing snow.

2dogs thinks you might need a therapist for Koch. i remember
Koch being asked not to return to puppy class because
Koch is to rough for the other puppy-wuppies,
i think i need a therapist because i shoveled a path
from the front of the house all the way to the back
door so my dog wouldn't have to trek through the deep
snow,
. so now when i let him out he follows
the path and then jumps into the deep snow,

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
this is better than hilarious,
we should have a Comment of the Month or
Post of the Week section.

Originally Posted By: lovemybuddy
That is hilarious!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Originally Posted By: Castlemaid
whahahahaha!!! And all this time I thought 2dog was just negative and critical. Turns out it he has a great sense of humour with undertones of subtle irony and satire!

Puppy forgets to potty because she is too busy playing in the snow . . . cause for concern? Too funny!
+1

·
Registered
23 Posts
lol....too funny ... they get so excited when anything is new and they forget about pottying ....

Now, my Baron, almost 12 HATES rain/snow/cold/wind ...
if the weather is inclement, he runs straight into one of the two pens where the straw is fresh and soft and warm and potties...then he will sit in the doorway watching the back door wishing it to open.
If I lock them in the pen because of inclement weather he will NOT potty in the pen.
our furries are so goofy and give us plenty to talk about

·
Registered
53 Posts
When my first best buddy was too old to take to the snow we brought home a bucket for him. He was soooooo happy. It is one of his last pictures. He actually nipped at a ball of it as we tossed it.

He would not potty if it rained. He hated water. He would run to edge of patio and pee just off the edge then run back in. Our new pup goes under the palm tree for protection. Then when the frawns ? got filled with water and dumped down on him he realized there is no safety out there. Now he runs to the edge like our other pup did. Sometimes he actually pees on the concrete. Luckily both boys were taught to potty on command and if commanded will reluctantly go onto the bark.

Therapist- that was funny.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Bianca always has to explore the snowy yard first... Sometimes she is so busy looking around she forgets until I call her to come back inside. Then she suddenly remembers what she went out for and she takes care of it quickly and runs to the door.
She also likes to just lay out in the snow (or roll in it, if it's fresh.)

·
Registered
305 Posts
LOL ours too. In fact, after playing and we call them in, they start to come running then stop with that "oh-oh" look, "Mom-- I forgot to pee" and run to pee and then race in.

In the rain, our male actually will stand on the covered patio and lift his leg to pee off the edge while he is covered. He hates rain. Our female doesn't care, she is our mud-puppy and dances in it!

·
Registered
5,893 Posts
My dogs are so good with the "go potty" command that they will pee first and then play. It's funny to watch all 3 go outside, circle for a place, go potty, and then do the zoomies, lol.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts