German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone!

I just joined, so here is the back story:
I'm British and grew up in England with an Alsatian (as we call them). After she passed away, I've moved around here and there, and ended up back in England, where I then had a Japanese Akita. She was great, a 'challenge', but unfortunately passed away at only 5 years old from Cancer. A year after she passed away, I moved to the USA and have been here since (in Illinois).

I've wanted another GSD, forever. I've been looking around for a breeder for months, and I've only really found one so far that doesn't make me feel uneasy in one way or another. It's a really tough process, and I really didn't know about all the problems there can be finding a good puppy, until I started that process.

I'm an immigrant, and it's taken a while for me to feel financially stable over here. First step after I felt that way, was to have a child 20 months ago (with my American wife), second was to buy a house, and we close on a house April 23rd. Once we have that house... I have to have a GSD back in my life.

I'm in a fairly nice situation in that I work from home (and have since 2005), so I feel quite comfortable about having the time required, and I am hoping to have an easier time than I had with my Akita (who constantly seemed to want to 'test' if I was still paying attention).

I'm going to do some reading around here, see if I can help with my breeder search....

Right now, if anyone is interested, this is the only one I like the look of:
(Wildhaus Kennels, Working German Shepherd Breeder in Michigan)

There's a few more local in Illinois that I really DON'T like the look of, but I guess that is against the rules to say which. :)

Cheers!

Tim

·
Registered
27,258 Posts
Welcome to you Tim! You have great discrimination, :)
I have a dog from Wildhaus and couldn't be happier. Every dog out of the kennel seems to just have a certain something from the foundation Grand dam Ira...and it's carried on to the next generations. Even with all the carefully chosen studs, it shows through!

You should get out to some clubs or trials and see the dogs first hand, it may help you to decide. Season is just getting going so plan a few road trips!

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
Welcome! Wildhaus is great, can't go wrong there. I've never owned one of their dogs but have met several and been to there place 3 or 4 times now. I also recommend Geistwasser in IL (:: BILL KULLA DOG TRAINING ::), I had a dog from them I trained for 2 years.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the welcome! :)

Well this makes me feel pretty good! Seems I'm looking for the right things. I am interested in someone closer, but haven't had success there yet.

I'll take a look at that one in Illinois, thank you!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

1 - 4 of 4 Posts