German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Banned
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i never remember seeing a crate when i was younger, female stock dog were put up in a kennel off the ground when in heat i've always seen but that was as much as to protect them from wild dogs either raping them or wild females killing them as well as controlling who and when they got bred as noone ever spayed.

i have 4 dogs loose in the house that have never been potty trained and as pups i have had no more accidents than people report here that do potty train, simple - given a choice a dog will always poop well away from where it lives??

i only use a crate for transport or if i am doing bite-work on my property and need to control the other dogs.

this whole crate and formal potty training is fairly recent right?

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Not sure when it became the norm for a house dog. The first crate I ever saw was at my ex- sister-in-law's house (who is BTW a veternarian) for her greyhound.

I never used one until I got Lisl, but I gotta say it has made potty training a breeze. She did all of the work. Sure, there was a couple of accidents still, but it went so much faster and easier than I had ever imagined.

I love coming home to a clean and orderly home too.

·
Premium Member
16,483 Posts
I crate trained my first puppy in 1985....They were available back then though my first one was ordered through a pet supply catalog as there were not any superstore type pet stores. First crate was a vari-kennel (that I had).

Before that we had the puppy in a small enclosed area that progressively got bigger and did the paper training etc. I have to say the crate has been a godsend as far as I am concerned.

·
Banned
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
what happens when yr dogs are not crated that is so bad, poop all over the house, eat furniture?? - obviously not talking about females on heat.

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
I use crates for transport too, but that's almost a daily occurrence for my GSDs, if not several times a week, so that I why I crate train them as puppies. I personally cannot stand dogs that go nuts in crates and injure themselves and/or destroy crates so I like to nip that in the bud immediately and not deal with broken teeth or broken crates later on when the dog is now 80lbs and all ramped up listening to bitework. My adult dogs are free in the house (together) and sleep on my bed. Puppies and young dogs either come with me in the van wherever I go or are crated at home until I'm sure they aren't going to destroy my house while I'm gone. A kennel would suffice just fine but my yard is 44' x 40' with neighbors in spitting distance on all sides.

Potty training...depends on how you define that. I let my puppies outside more often than my adults but I don't take them out on a leash, tell them where to go, and reward them. Nah, I just open the back door and they go out. If I want to make sure they go I might watch from the window. I had adult dogs (that I obtained as adults) before I got my first puppy and I think the adults have more to do with the "potty training" than I do (the puppy follows them outside, sees they are peeing before they play so he pees too, and then they can play). I do make every effort to let the puppy out often enough to encourage *not* going inside though, I guess that is what I call "potty training".

·
Banned
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Lies, i guess that is what i do but i never consider it training, my doors are wide open at my house so the dogs come and go at will, must be lucky the worst i ever had is dog putting paws on bench when i carelessly left food out, they never jump on the bench tho. the two adults i can leave steak all over the benches and it is still there when i get home.

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
what happens when yr dogs are not crated that is so bad, poop all over the house, eat furniture?? - obviously not talking about females on heat.
Nothing since my dog is not a puppy. But as a puppy, why would I take the chance of him chewing something up that could make him sick or that he could choke on?

The crate is not only a great way to house break a dog, but it's good for their own safety as well.

·
Registered
338 Posts
We never crated our dogs growing up. I don't think there were many more house training accidents but we did loose the corner of our bookshelf to our lab when he was young. My husband's puppy had already been crate trained to an extent when we got him, so we just kept up with it, and it's been awesome! We haven't had anything destroyed, and all accidents were caught in progress. I certainly don't think you have to have one, since a baby gate across the kitchen will work just as well, but I love the convenience :)

·
Premium Member
16,483 Posts
I am going back in my head and in 1965 we got Waggles. Yes..we did have a cage in the kitchen for her to sleep in when we first got her. My parents put in a towel and a clock......Then they had a gate in the kitchen and she stayed there with my mom...(these are old memories ok...) and the neighbor told mom to whisk her outside after ever meal etc. She trained easy then got access to all the rooms but not the living room with the carpet.

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
Growing up we never had a dog but my uncle always had a hunting/working/field dog and unlike what people describe where dogs were free in the house and free to roam acres of property, his dogs did (and still do) basically live in their "dog box" which is basically a crate but insulated since it can be 10 degrees or 100 degrees. He did build an outdoor kennel at their vacation cabin but honestly the footprint is not that much bigger than the crate or pen I use for my dogs when they have to be put up at home. I've grown up in the city (well grew up in the "inner city") and there, dogs were kept on heavy chains tied to trees with about a 4 foot radius. Not a real glamorous life, crate or no crate.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
We never "kenneled" when I was growing up. We had an outdoor run and both dogs we had were outdoor dogs, so the first time I ever potty trained was with Finn. As for kenneling, same deal. It was recommended by the breeder and it was a breeze. I'll probably always kennel train. Potty training...we didn't do anything big. Maybe the first week or so we were all praise and treats, but it kind of fell off to the wayside and he was fine.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
I can't imagine having Berlin and NOT crating him! He eats EVERYTHING, by far the most destructive puppy I've had so far. And also the one having the biggest problem with potty training. There is no way I can physically puppy proof every room in the house. If he wasn't in a crate, our house would be destroyed, and he would probably be dead since wires are his favorite thing to go after.

·
Super Moderator
18,687 Posts
I started using crates in 1985. Before that a puppy would be confinded to a small room at night with papers to go potty on or a box with some bedding in it until they were old enough to be loose. I didn't use crates all that much, though, until I started training in SchH.

I take my puppies out a lot so maybe it isn't formal potty training. My road frontage is fenced, but not with puppy safe fencing so I always go out with them.

·
Premium Member
16,483 Posts
I have had fewer problems with adult dogs who learned the rules as puppies and earned free time outside of the crate. Beau has never had one single accident in the house and that is typical for me of the males I have had. The females were a *little* harder.

What happens? They live to see adulthood. Don't wind up electrocuted or dead with some obstruction. They are not stressed when I crate them in the truck or at the vet.

·
Registered
345 Posts
This is the first time I've crate trained. It really is a great way to house train a dog. He only goes in it at night. We leave the door open all day, and numerous times Baron has gone in for an afternoon nap.
I like to think of it as his own private place. Also, the house training was a breeze.
Edit:We don't use it to babysit. Ever.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
We didn't use crates until 97' when we got my female golden. She was destructive, and we were afraid of her getting sick, or destroying our house. It didn't last long because my mother and father broke when they heard her crying (bad thing to do!!). At about 5 months, she was out on her own. However, at the time, there was always someone home. My house had my parents, my 3 other siblings and I, and my grandmother.

We eventually had 3 dogs left out 24/7 in the house. But, I can tell you.... they did get sick at some points. We did almost have to do surgery, and we did have things destroyed that can never be replaced or even repaired. Things that have been passed down through my family from late 1800s - early 1900s. Very sad. Not to mention how many nasty accidents I had to come home and clean. My goldens were not even bad dogs.... they were great, very well trained, perfectly healthy happy dogs. Just.... spoiled! Because of that, they acted out and got their way.

So when I started with my own dogs.... I definitely crated. All my dogs are crate trained, and sleep there at night and while we are out. My females also don't get along. If I wasn't to crate them, I'd come home to either serious injuries, or someone dead.

Not everyone feels comfortable doing it. But in the end, it's a great tool for training, potty training, and keeping respect for what is owned by the humans in the house. I worked hard for what I have, and I just couldn't imagine allowing my dogs to destroy it... which my current dogs absolutely would!

At the same time, I've met a few dogs that just didn't need it. They were well behaved, not destructive, and potty trained easily. So not all need it, and some that do, don't always need it their entire life. Depends on the dog, the owners, the owners schedule and lifestyle... etc. Good tool though.

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
My first dog as an adult was a siberian husky 22 years ago. I had never used a crate and was determined I would never do something so cruel as to crating. First day I left her alone she destroyed my couch, diningroom table, front window frames, and the biggie.....my kingsize waterbed that flooded 2 floors of my house causing much water damage. That damage took her a mere 2 hours.
I bought a crate that same day and have never looked back.

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
My family bred and showed dogs when I was a child. Crates were a part of that whole scene, so I remember them in the 1960's and 70's. They were not as readily available as they are today, but they were very much a part of the dog show culture that I grew up in.

Potty training was never a big deal, maybe because we never had breeds that were hard to potty train! We used the same procedure on them all and it is the same procedure I use today. It has been very successful for me. We'll see if it works in the future when I bring home a Poodle puppy!
Sheilah

·
Registered
476 Posts
Those are bad, but what about chewing power cords, eating drywall, opening cupboards and getting into cleaning chemicals. I've known a dog that jumped through a window when left unattended. If you have other pets, having them get in a fight.

None of these are things my dog does, but I didn't know that when he was 7wks old, you know? Plus, when we travel he needs to go in a crate so he might as well be used to it.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts