German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to clear up my understanding of rotating proteins - what's the latest consensus here? First you were supposed to find high quality kibble (raw is out of the question for me - I'd spend extra to buy the highest quality kibble but I simply do not have the time or money to feed raw) and stick to it, but now I'm reading people recommending to rotate foods regularly and change the main protein source...

What's the justification for each and what do you do with your dog?

I've been feeding him Acana Pacifica but would like to try the other Acana grain-free brands (Orijen was a little too rich for him I think as he was getting constant soft/runny stools). Specifically I'm looking at the Acana Ranchlands but what's up with the high Calcium / Phosphorous levels?

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
I rotate all 4 formulas of TOTW for my dog. He has never had a problem, I just want him to have a variety instead of eating chicken kibble everyday.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Well over the 4th of July we ran out of TOTW and the only store here that sells it happened to be closed for 4 long days. So we had to buy Exceed Lamb n Rice (Sam's brand,meat first ingredient), it wasn't a bad dog food but I was worried with the switch.

No problems... now we are thinking of mixing the TOTW with the Exceed to stretch the dollars. maybe

·
Registered
314 Posts
I used to mix TOTW venison/bison with the fish formula to try and cut the protein down a bit. I didn't want ALL fish, but I didn't want such high protein. When I started ordering home delivery, I found the lamb (which my local store does not carry). However, I do mix in the venison/bison (like a small bag every so often) just a bit to keep it in the system in case I run out of the lamb and have to make a quicky trip to the local store and only have venison/bison to choose from. I don't switch around.

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
I rotate between the following grain-free foods, for no other reason than I like to give my dogs variety for the taste aspect of it, and also just in case one brand is lacking in a certain nutrient:
Evo Red meat
Fromm
California Naturals
Acana (all flavors)
Orijen (all flavors)

My dogs also get one meal per day (we still feed them three times a day) of boiled chicken or beef. I can't do RAW either due to limited freezer space, but this is my way of giving them some pure meat in their diets.

·
Banned
1,233 Posts
I'd like to clear up my understanding of rotating proteins - what's the latest consensus here? First you were supposed to find high quality kibble (raw is out of the question for me - I'd spend extra to buy the highest quality kibble but I simply do not have the time or money to feed raw) and stick to it, but now I'm reading people recommending to rotate foods regularly and change the main protein source...

What's the justification for each and what do you do with your dog?

I've been feeding him Acana Pacifica but would like to try the other Acana grain-free brands (Orijen was a little too rich for him I think as he was getting constant soft/runny stools). Specifically I'm looking at the Acana Ranchlands but what's up with the high Calcium / Phosphorous levels?
It is all just Pop Science, internet blabber. Constantly rotating protein sources is of no value nutritionally but exposes the dog to multiple proteins that might come in handy in the future. There is absolutely no scientific or anecdotal evidence that remotely suggests it is of any value.

So no upside and all downside.

People think they are feeding a child but it is a dog, as much we love our pets they are dogs not people.

Stick to one and if you ever have a problem then you can switch with a clean slate.

Food allergies are very rare to begin with and when they occur its because the dog has a bad immune system, it is not the food. Dogs with food allergies are also allergic to everything else.

Most of what you hear is just rationalization for the person's desire to switch foods. Not any kind of real problem. A variation of Munchausen. It amazes me that people actually mix different kibbles.

·
Registered
3,584 Posts
Actually....I find what Sable says very logical.
Whether we all agree or disagree, feed RAW, Grain Free or normal Kibble....there has been no scientific proof that rotating foods or proteins is better or worse for our dogs. I think we do it because we *want* to.....we *want* them to have a variety of tastes and sources......but I think most would do just as well if they had no specific change in their diets as long as they were eating a food that benefits them completely.
* I find myself learning something from EVERYONE.....and I rather enjoy that!*

·
Banned
1,233 Posts
Actually....I find what Sable says very logical.
Whether we all agree or disagree, feed RAW, Grain Free or normal Kibble....there has been no scientific proof that rotating foods or proteins is better or worse for our dogs. I think we do it because we *want* to.....we *want* them to have a variety of tastes and sources......but I think most would do just as well if they had no specific change in their diets as long as they were eating a food that benefits them completely.
* I find myself learning something from EVERYONE.....and I rather enjoy that!*
And if you really wanna f-up a dog allergywise, start loading it with multiple proteins when it is a puppy, if it is predisposed to allergies that is, which you will never know at 10 weeks.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts