German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello; I've trained my dog how to sit and he somewhat got the hang of the lie down. My puppy is currently 61 days old; but I always wondered, not how to teach him tricks but what and when?

Anybody have any ideas what crucial tricks to teach him first? Like a top 5 (or as many as you want :p) of what he must know first and in what order?

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
1. Sit
2. Down
3. Heel
4. Stay
5. Come

These are basic obedience musts first.

Tricks
1. Speak
2. Shake
3. Roll over
4. Circle or go round
5. Bow

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1. Sit
2. Down
3. Heel
4. Stay
5. Come

These are basic obedience musts first.

Tricks
1. Speak
2. Shake
3. Roll over
4. Circle or go round
5. Bow

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
And maybe I have the concept wrong, but should I only move on until my puppy masters a trick?.. Or until its like just plain alright?.. Or a new trick every week..? Because my dog can sit but if I'm too far it won't, I need it's attention at first, and not in high distraction environments.

Before, in order for him to sit I had to do the hand motion, but now I can just say the word and he would sit; but only if I'm close to him.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Id say number 1 is the recall. Always put the most emphasis on that. And also engagement, you want your pup looking to you asking whats next. You can do whatever you want from there. Work on just getting the pup to run to you, and do that over and over. Do that until the dog goes nuts over it- then teaching things will be easy. Dont go too fast, thats not right.
If you have 40 treats try using all 40 on just making the dog excited and coming towards you. And do that every day.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts