German Shepherds Forum banner

21 - 40 of 340 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
We have a 6.5 mo Old English Mastiff neutered male and a 4 mo GSD female, lots of running and tusseling in this house. 2 barn cats outdoors.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
I have a spayed female Dalmation/Black Lab mix, 8 years old and a neutered male GSD, 2.5 years old. The Dal/Lab mix definately dominates my GSD, but when she goes too far (like bites him in the face when he gets to close to the whole bag of dog food:rolleyes:) he pretty much shows her who's boss.:)

·
Registered
86 Posts
I have 2 German Shepherds and a Maine Coon. Yes, the MC is considered a dog in this house. ;)
HAHAHA! I know exactly what you mean! I have a cat that thinks its a dog! Hes actually bigger than all my dogs! I don't know if he has Maine Coon in him but I suspect he does. And my dogs and their ages are in my signature.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
I have a almost 8 year old female samoyed, a 2.5 year old male golden retriever, and 10.5 month old female GSD. All are spayed/neutered and get along fine. I also have 5 cats, but only 1 of them thinks and acts like a dog:) All the pets get along fine. They eat, sleep, and play together. If I had to pick one that rules over the rest, it would be the 8 year old female samoyed. She will let them all know when its time to stop and start playing. They actually do listen to her:) I've never had a dog fight, they respect each others space, and they all have very good temperaments.

·
Registered
3,132 Posts
You have a house full:)

I have a almost 8 year old female samoyed, a 2.5 year old male golden retriever, and 10.5 month old female GSD. All are spayed/neutered and get along fine. I also have 5 cats, but only 1 of them thinks and acts like a dog:) All the pets get along fine. They eat, sleep, and play together. If I had to pick one that rules over the rest, it would be the 8 year old female samoyed. She will let them all know when its time to stop and start playing. They actually do listen to her:) I've never had a dog fight, they respect each others space, and they all have very good temperaments.

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
I have an Akbash Dog. He is huge and weighs almost twice what a GSDs weighs. He is The Boss, but you'd never know it--he's so laid back and easygoing. He doesn't care what the GSDs get up to. He has completely different needs than a GSD--he doesn't care about balls or toys, doesn't need my attention 24/7, so there's really nothing to fight over. Food is the only thing he guards, and that's the only time you'd know that he is The Boss. Otherwise, he lets other dogs literally run right over the top of him.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Other than shepherds? Shih Tzu

Are they male or female? Female

AGe? 12

Who is the king or queen of your house? Queen is beneath her, in her mind she is a god, we are but poor peasant slaves.
My mother has a little white, Bichony something mix that is about 6 years old. She's been with us less than a year and can be a little uppity with Shania, but blind as she is, Shania hand had out a pretty good chewing out.

·
Registered
780 Posts
I have a golden retriever, 11-1/2 years old. She's a saint, was perfect even as a puppy. I was very concerned how she would adapt to having a new puppy in the house, it's always been just her and me. It took her 2 days to join in the fun, but she's a new dog now, full of life and play. She is patient beyond reason. I could brag on her all day. Bringing a new dog into our family has not made me love her less, I love her even more now which hardly seems possible. :wub: Here they are...

·
Registered
996 Posts
Other than shepherds?
American Pitbull Terrier

Are they male or female?
female

almost 4

Who is the king or queen of your house?
our house doesn't work like that. Some dogs live separate from others because they don't get along, and even the ones who do hang out go back and forth on who is in "charge" depending othe situation. Generally the older dogs get more respect from younger dogs on average.

second in command? lol
see above

Was curious how multi breed houses work out
Nina the pit bull tends to love being chased and the shepherds enjoy herding her. She is a big wrestler, loves lots of body contact so she fits the shepherds play. She is every bodies favorite play mate. All the shepherds adore her and she them.

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
I have 6 dogs :

Buddy 11 Chihuahua , the eldest and the boss!!

Maddie 6 GSD very nice temperament gets along with everyone.

Riley 5 JRT a very nice easy going dog that's also gets along with everyone.

Garrett 4 Cairn Terrier , a very fun loving but dominant party animal, he's the cutest of the cute and the love of my life.

Gavin 3 GSD, he also gets along with everyone and is a wonderful dog in every way.

BeBe 6 Cairn Terrer, a rescue I have had almost
a year, she had horrible dog aggression issues but has come a long ways and is now very good with all the dogs.

I love having multiple dogs and personalities and like multi children they all fulfill different needs and have different relationships with me. I could seriously never be content with just 1 dog, life is too short and there are too many dogs!!

·
Registered
77 Posts
We have Nzo a GSD puppy who is 14 weeks old and

PJ a 3 1/2 year old male Great Dane

They get on like a house of fire.

My OH is the alpha of the pack and is recognized as such by everyone including me! :D

We've always had a mix of these two breeds, sometimes 1 of each, sometimes 2 GSDs and a dane and once 2 danes and a GSD - that was fun lol. The danes are all brawn and laid back and goofy and the GSDs all brains and so bright and willing and they compliment each other brilliantly.

Wendy

·
Registered
680 Posts
Right now none. I have yet to have my own dog in my "adult life". Planning on getting a GSD in the spring. That being said, growing up (I moved out/married almost 4 years ago) I had 5 GSD's, 2 collies, 1 golden and 1english setter. Our pets always came from BYB's out of the paper. Didn't realize until last year that there were such things as "reputable breeders" :)

·
Super Moderator
5,679 Posts
I have 2 female GSDs (Carly and Sage) and a 12 year old female Italian Greyhound (Zelda). Carly is definitely in charge.

I have a deposit on a female Siamese kitten from a show breeder. I pick her up in about a month. I have a feeling that eventually she'll be in charge. :)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Two German Shepherds. I have always had German Shepherds. I was considering changing to an easier breed such as Goldens but when my dogs kept burglars out of my house a couple of years ago I knew that I would always have Shepherds!

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Two German Shepherds. I have always had German Shepherds. I was considering changing to an easier breed such as Goldens but when my dogs kept burglars out of my house a couple of years ago I knew that I would always have Shepherds!
LOL Having had both, separately not together, I would not say a golden is easier. Not necessarily harder, but just quite different. Loved my golden, he was my bff growing up, and I love Sasha (my GSD), but for very different reasons.

·
Registered
37 Posts
LOL Having had both, separately not together, I would not say a golden is easier. Not necessarily harder, but just quite different. Loved my golden, he was my bff growing up, and I love Sasha (my GSD), but for very different reasons.[/QUOTE/]

My sister has had Golden Retrievers for a while now and they are wonderful dogs and highly intelligent of course. The problem is that they are useless as guard dogs! They would walk up to an intruder with tail wagging. By easier I mean that they are more "dog park" compatible! I'm always concerned that my dogs might mix it up with another dog.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
LOL Having had both, separately not together, I would not say a golden is easier. Not necessarily harder, but just quite different. Loved my golden, he was my bff growing up, and I love Sasha (my GSD), but for very different reasons.[/QUOTE/]

My sister has had Golden Retrievers for a while now and they are wonderful dogs and highly intelligent of course. The problem is that they are useless as guard dogs! They would walk up to an intruder with tail wagging. By easier I mean that they are more "dog park" compatible! I'm always concerned that my dogs might mix it up with another dog.
LOL yeah they can be pretty useless guard dogs. However, the most aggressive dogs at the dog park, that I've seen anyways, are generally labs (which I understand are not goldens, but they're similar). I think a lot of them are toy guarders, and thus shouldn't be at the dog park whilst playing fetch. My golden actually tried to take another dog because he thought it was too close to me. I never worry about Sasha and other dogs. She thinks every dog (even those that clearly hate her) want to be her friend. LOL

21 - 40 of 340 Posts