German Shepherds Forum banner

321 - 340 of 340 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
We have a 2 year old Siberian husky/Alaskan malamute cross spayed and a 8month old male German shepherd un neutered. They get along very well, but do fight sometimes but not serious.

·
Banned
1,255 Posts
I have:
Lyka - 9yrish GSD rescue
Crios - 4yrish GSD/Husky Cross (dad was half shepherd, half Husky, mom full shepherd, but he got the blue eyes and coloring of a Husky, so I usually just call him a Husky)
Dupa and Kirian - cornsnakes
3 sheep without names
54 chickens without names
Arden - 27 H paint horse
Warlord -28 H quarter horse
Seiran - 3 months GSD black shepherd. My one and only dog purchased from a breeder.

No pictures of the horses, as I’m the one usually riding them. I’ll have to take some soon!

Attachments

·
Registered
43 Posts
Zephyr - My first dog, a jet black, goofy shepherd/lab/pit mutt that I rescued from our local shelter. He's ~5 yrs old and neutered.

Ansi - 2 yr old spayed female Wooly Agouti Siberian Husky. Came with AKC papers but we never got her fully registered before her deadline. Looks like a mini wolf! She was 6 mo when we got her and she's the smallest of our 5 dogs.

Gaia - ~3/4 yr old spayed female White GSD. Did not come with papers, so unsure of lineage but she looks and acts full shep. Adopted her when she was already 2 y/o and she is our biggest dog!

Noctis & Ventus - Two puppies who showed up on our doorstep Out of Nowhere! two days before Christmas! They were around 2 months old and we believe they may have been attracted to the scent of our trashcan by our backdoor. They're now about 8 months old, neutered and the SWEETEST dogs I've ever met in my life! Breed is hard to tell but they look like some kind of shepherd/hound mix. They're coat colors and ears make me think shep, but they have houndlike faces and soft bites.

We also have 3 cats and a tarantula.

Gaia and Zephyr are definitely the top dogs. Zephyr acts dominant to any dog he meets but Gaia melts his heart and he's a big pushover for her.
Ansi wants to be in charge, I think it's just in her breed, but she's only 45lbs and all fluff.
The two pups are so docile and they were neutered before they ever even hit puberty so there isn't a shred of dominance in them haha

Pictures of the fam:

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 12.5 year old Female Golden Retriever named Chelsea and an 8 week old GSD boy named Max. So far they are best friends.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Other than shepherds?

Are they male or female?

AGe?

Who is the king or queen of your house?

second in command? lol

Was curious how multi breed houses work out
Maya is a Border Collie! She’s 16 months and she has the role of the dog in our household. She knows she shouldn’t run our household and with a lot of training and structure, she respects all of us. Even as a high energy breed.

·
Registered
6,403 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
I'm a fan of the way borzoi/sighthound heads wrap around a bitearm, but they don't rank high on the intelligence scale.

It's widely accepted within cynological circles that borzoi played a significant role in smooth/rough collie development, and I'm very seriously considering perhaps crossing my male gsd to a rough collie at some point in the future?

·
Registered
13 Posts
My GSD is 4 months and now wifey wanted a lap dog and we got a Bichon Frise! Tiny! Cute and adorable no doubt, BUT, When they play, my GSD tends to play rough, puts little guys head and paws in his mouth, sometimes drags him around, of course I stop it! Im afraid my GSd is going to eat him! I know he's Mouthing him, but he does nip at him,anyone think the little guys days are numbered? Thoughts? Shoulda got a larger breed but,wifey insisted on a lap dog!
18.jpg

·
Premium Member
188 Posts
My GSD is 4 months and now wifey wanted a lap dog and we got a Bichon Frise! Tiny! Cute and adorable no doubt, BUT, When they play, my GSD tends to play rough, puts little guys head and paws in his mouth, sometimes drags him around, of course I stop it! Im afraid my GSd is going to eat him! I know he's Mouthing him, but he does nip at him,anyone think the little guys days are numbered? Thoughts? Shoulda got a larger breed but,wifey insisted on a lap dog! View attachment 560639
GSD tends to play rough so be prepared.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I noticed! haha,,yeah when theyre together either my wife or myself is right there with them, plays gentle for a little while then he gets rough! always breaking them up or seperating them.

·
Registered
321 Posts
gsd should become protective of the little guy in a few months. If they were mine, I'd provide an outlet for gsd to roughhouse w/ me in the meantime. When my gsd pup bites something he's not supposed to, I give him something he is supposed to bite. Puppy tug, flirt pole, reizangel, etc.

the breed was originally developed to bite, and has been selectively bred to bite ever since. The key is training him to bite the right things, and not to bite the wrong things. In a gsd's mind, a bite is a reward. Make him earn it.

In the beginning, make him sit first. Then, sit-stay for a few seconds. Then sit, down, stay, and so on. Let him win the bite game every time, and gradually make him work harder (bite and pull) for the win. This will make for a more confident, obedient adult.

Personally I'd let the bichon in on the action as well and try to develop a "teamwork" relationship between the 2.

Somebody's going to be the boss there and it best be you and mom. Gsd wants and needs to be dominated by human owners. Otherwise he will assume the role of pack leader by default, and that puts ALL the mental/psychological stress on him. Whereas if you and mom are 100% in charge of the situation 24/7/365, he can just enjoy life being your companion.

Keep a schedule, bite game for 10-15 minutes, quick walk on a leash (another 10-15 minutes), lots of obedience commands. Put the time in now. Train him well young and he'll be well trained for life.

Dog Training Commands in Several Languages

·
Registered
138 Posts
Currently, two working line GSDs.

From 2011-2019, a rescued GSD. She was the Queen. Indeed, the person who was our contact at the shelter described her thusly: " You have to understand that the Shepherd is the queen of the dogs, . . . and she is the queen of the shepherds."

In the more distant past, two Newfoundlands and a Golden. The Newfs were king and queen, though we did not have the two at the same time.

321 - 340 of 340 Posts