Who is the king or queen of your house?

second in command? lol

Was curious how multi breed houses work out

·
Registered
31,483 Posts
Boxers: Female

6 and 12.5 yr

The 12.5 yr old Queen. Everyone else, including DH, is second.

·
Registered
3,132 Posts
I have a Cattle Dog right now,but am looking for another full time dog. In addition to her, I have a variety of other breeds from foster.Right now I have a foster GSD and a GSD/Malinois mix.The GSD is 3 year old female and the GSD/Mal/Husky is 6 year old male. My Cattle Dog is 9 years old and a female.

·
Registered
4,687 Posts
GSD - 3 yrs intact male
Pit mix- approx. 3 yrs spayed female
Beagle - 9 yrs spayed female

Beagle lives with mom, but we are all together very frequently. Penny (Pit) used to be the queen bee, but power has since shifted to Aiden's (GSD) direction. Freckles (Beagle) just goes with the flow.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
gatordog did they fight to to change status or did it just happen on its own in the past month or so slowly? when your male mature around 3?

Gharrisc does your house have a alpha?

I have never had more than one dog at a time i always feared the idea but love to hear about others.

·
Registered
4,687 Posts
gatordog did they fight to to change status or did it just happen on its own in the past month or so slowly? when your male mature around 3?

I have never had more than one dog at a time i always feared the idea but love to hear about others.
It depends on what you consider 'fight'. They were both introduced to living together in the same home when they were 1.5 yrs, so they did need to adjust. I let them work out their own issues (and I never let it escalate). There were a few squabbles in the beginning over a toy or food, but only lots of noise and flailing without any injuries or serious bites. I'd say it's been at least 8 months, if not longer, since any tiny sign of a 'fight'.

Penny used to guard absolutely everything from Aiden (and to be fair, she was in that house first.) Now, Aiden is definitely 'alpha'. He will take things from right out of Penny's mouth if it's his. It seems strange, but since Penny was so undersocialized with dogs when we first got her, having Aiden to kind of 'boss' her around keeps her in line. He taught her do's and don'ts in doggy language and now they live together perfectly.

Aiden just turned 3 about a week ago and I think he's really just starting to come into his adult demeanor.

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
I have a poodle and my sister who lives with me has the yorkie

Mininature Poodle/Yorkshire terrier (mix?)

Spayed female/neutered male

Two years old next month/12 years old

Jazzy is alpha of the three dogs, though Delgado is pushing back sometimes so who knows. Nemo spends most of his time sleeping or in our arms so he doesn't really care lol

We're also looking at fostering for a local rescue soon

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
I only have a 2 yr old female, unspayed (until November) shepherd. But my parents have 4 dogs and we visit often.

When I go there, this is the "alpha" order I suppose:
Dakoda- 67 lb, female purebred GSD, 2 yrs, unaltered
Pikachu- 8.6 lb, female pekingese/chihuahua, unaltered, 5 yrs
Motomo- 78 lb, male lab/husky/akita, neutered, 5 yrs
Tattonka- 55 lb, male husky/beagle/dalmation, neutered, 6 years
Honalelu- 6.8 lb, female purebred chihuahua, spayed, 5 yrs

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Aside from Kaiser (6 month GSD) I have Dakota who is a GSD/collie mix that I rescued at 8 weeks. She will be 7 years old in December and is sweet, laid back, and pretty much an omega dog...although she is subtly making it known that she is the queen bee around here. Kaiser never challenges her (yet) and she never responds aggressively, but in her own way she puts him in his place while not being overt about anything. Shes a special girl :) I also have a cat, who I rescued a couple years ago (she was 1 or 2 at the time, and is now 3 or 4). She does her own thing, though she is very dog-like in many of her actions and adores Dakota. Kaiser constantly tries to play with her, and while she will growl and make a fuss she also instigates and then allows him to chew on her. Its an...interesting relationship, to say the least.

·
Registered
987 Posts
I have a BC Indy that is 6 and a BC mix King that is almost 9, Then Frank is 2 all neutered males.
I really dont' see where any of them are alpha, They play together and take toys away from each other, if they line up to get a drink it's just whoever happens to be there first.

·
Registered
3,132 Posts

My Cattle Dog is usually the alpha,but that sometimes changes if I have a long term foster. It really just depends on who is here at the time.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
lol i think most of us have a rescue cat running around somewhere in our house that we found, some cats are laid back some could put the fear of god into any person even lol

by alpha i just mean seems to have its way, first to take the toy it wants or even first to feed etc..

·
Registered
7,289 Posts
Besides my 2yr old GSD who is male
3 1/2 yr old Lab who is female
11 1/2 yr old Fox Terrier Mix who is female

Seniority rules in our house, and everyone gets along great. If anyone lays down the law it is the Terrier Mix.
Forgot to add the cat, female indoor cat, she is in her own little world. She thinks she is too good for the dogs.

·
Registered
24,301 Posts
I have...a GSD, and then mixes:
F BC-Chow +? mix
F Chow-Spitz ? mix
F GSD mix
F Chow-Terv ? mix
M GSD-Lab ? mix (maybe some Chow and/or Rottie in there)
M GSD-BC ? mix (maybe some northern breed in there)
M Sheltie-Corgi (?) mix

I have a foster that is a 1.5 yo Lab/BC mix (?)
all speutered

So there are similarities - either in the herding breed or Chow type breeds. So they all have similar rules and types of behavior. They were also "admitted" into the pack based on a majority rule, based on how they could add to the group, and assimilate. Some needed to be here...or else, so luckily, that is the kind of dog who is admitted into Jeanspackistan. ;) Things are given in order of seniority, and they so far, are okay with that (no prison riots).

I had a strong alpha, true alpha - the larger black/tan dog (Kramer) in my avatar. The smaller black/tan (Bruno) moved into and shared that with my GSD Bella, who is not a natural alpha and does not want to be an alpha, but she is a Queen Bee, and that works. I have more work to do in terms of leadership, and could never do it as well as Kramer, but I am trying.

·
Super Moderator
21,368 Posts
Right now I have
Masi Female GSD 4 years
Jynx Female Aussie 12years
Jag Male Aussie 11 years

4 cats all girls Mudger 21 yrs old/Ree & Rae 7 years/ Boogie 4 years
some fish
9 chickens - 6 weeks old

The brute in the house is Jag:)

1 - 20 of 340 Posts