German Shepherds Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
5,672 Posts
I've been astonished by the must-have-a-dog-now thing that has happened in the last month. It really caught me by surprise. There's something that feels very panic-stricken about the "right now" aspect of the requests.

The bummer is that it is only puppies that people are obsessing about getting -- "pandemic puppies." We've seen lots of requests for puppies by people we would never, ever choose to place a puppy with (too inexperienced, too busy once "real life" resumes, no clue what they're getting into). The whole thing is bizarre.

Many of these are people who honestly need EASY first dogs -- good with other dogs, kids, cats, obedience foundation already laid by a foster home..... They could be successful with that kind of dog and learn some skills for a future puppy someday....but no, they all want young puppies. And chickens, apparently, as they're also buying up all the chicks at feed stores, with no clue how to care for them either. I'm guessing some of the pandemic puppies will eventually probably help themselves to the pandemic chickens, upsetting their owners terribly -- we will then see distraught posts with titles like "my puppy killed the pet chicken" here in a few months. :rolleyes:

I just got a very frustrating email that a family that we had been looking for the perfect dog for decided to buy a puppy, instead of waiting for a suitable rescue dog. I'd spent all week texting shelters that had reopened about temp tests on potential candidates. The family has 5 young, very active kids, who are very busy in every sport under the sun and always have friends over, and a jerk of tiny dog. It takes a special kind of GSD to walk into that busy house and fit. We would have eventually placed a bomb-proof, sociable, easy-going, kid-friendly adult dog, to set them all up for success -- already house-trained, crate-trained, playing fetch, with leash manners on walks, so that the kids could really enjoy the dog from Day One. Instead, they got themselves a landshark from a BYB. I know how that story ends, as I've had countless similar families contact me to get rid of a young dog that is making the kids miserable, biting at them and destroying all their favorite stuff.

I'm expecting a rough holiday season when the pandemic puppies get dumped, right before holiday travel would make it inconvenient to have to board them. Or whenever the dog pulls down (or pees on) the Xmas tree or steals the TG turkey off the counter.

The shelters are starting to reopen here. I'm getting calls again about dogs whose stray holds are up and need out -- some very good dogs. We're reopening intake this week. Our vet still isn't doing non-emergency speuters, so that will slow things down, but it will be nice to see some new dogs coming in.

·
Super Moderator
6,968 Posts
I thinks it’s merely a shift in “product” and basically highlights who and what the greater part of our society is...and has been for awhile. Loneliness, greed, entitlement, impulsiveness, band wagoners.

·
Registered
209 Posts
My breeder put up a post on her fb page about breeders of all sorts being inundated with inquiries about if they have pups available. Seems that everyone suddenly thinks it is a great time to get a pet. In a way, it probably is, but it seems pretty impulsive.
Their litters spoken for well in advance, so it doesn't affect them much.

·
Registered
31,348 Posts
Here in Arizona, the shelters are mostly pit-mixes, Chihuahuas, and a decent amount of shepherd mixes. So sad...

We've been looking for a Golden (actually my wife, not me) and our previous rescue doesn't have a single dog on the website. I think even the dog that was born without an anus is gone (poor thing).

A few months ago, we met some millennials who'd adopted a Golden that was shipped in from China. I thought that was very strange. Why not just go to a breeder if you're going to do that? Also, it was the smallest Golden I'd ever seen--maybe 40 lbs. at most.

It's the newest craze. There are rescues making money off of this. Not real rescues. A local shelter imported several "meat market" dogs without regard to any diseases they might be bringing in with them. Look that up. Confirmed thru vet labs like Cornell. There are zero regulations to bringing in dogs from China with temperament issues, diseases, etc but a whole lot of self righteous fur mommies with their chinese dogs.

·
Registered
6,694 Posts
It's not like anyone is going to feel like adopting dogs for the next couple of months anyway -- bringing a new pet into the family isn't where people's heads are in a crisis like this. Add in the massive economic uncertainty (with fear of lost jobs and all the fallout that comes with loss of income), and consider what that does to adoption interest.
honestly, I'd say that the opposite seems to be true. Everyone and their uncle is looking for a dog. There are many shelters that have been completely emptied of dogs. Everyone I know that breeds has said there is a HUGE uptick in people seeking puppies.
Part of that is because people are home with bored kids. Part of that (such as our breed) is a desire for home security in uncertain times. Part is simply impulse buys because everyone is home and bored/lonely. And I've talked wit
h a few people who are wanting to get a dog because "taking the dog out" is one of the exceptions to most stay-at-home orders and they want to have an excuse to leave the house

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
You are absolutely right. Several reports of shelters being empty. Look at all the threads on this board asking for breeders. I talked to a friend and she is inundated with requests. So much that she really has to sort thru the "It's a pandemic and I want a puppy" from the people who have put a lot of thought into buying a dog and the pandemic is coincidental.

Shelters will be overrun in 6 months, not only with the dogs that were adopted but the puppies as well. Puppyhood is the easy part. Adolescence is when the issues come to the forefront.
And they will all probably have separation anxiety as a result of never being left alone as youngsters

·
Registered
31,348 Posts
And they will all probably have separation anxiety as a result of never being left alone as youngsters
Most likely. Mine have had me home for 6 weeks. I had to go to the office for one day and you would think I had left them for years. People that I know who have puppies are being careful to crate them during the day to avoid that situation.

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
Also, these shelters that have been emptied out: there are two that I follow on FB. My impression was that those dogs were not adopted but that the shelters had appealed for emergency foster homes in order to close their doors. The communities responded. Some of those people may wind up keeping their fosters but I didn't get the impression that the shelters were empty because people had truly adopted all the dogs?

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
Most likely. Mine have had me home for 6 weeks. I had to go to the office for one day and you would think I had left them for years. People that I know who have puppies are being careful to crate them during the day to avoid that situation.
We've been going for a takeout tailgate pic nic at our favorite restaraunt. Partly to get out, partly to try to support the restaraunt which is a local mom and pop place without big funds to back it up.

Anyway, a lot of weeks that was the only time my dogs were home alone. We could have brought them but I've made sure they got left home alone for something. Including my service dog who would of course grocery shop with me even when the other dog was home alone. Actually a lot of times I brought the other dog so I could train in the grocery store parkinglot before I went home. Or walk them on a sidewalk in a town so they don't forget civilization exists.

Neither seem to care. But I have been glad they were alone. Neither has ever had a problem being alone or away from us and I'd like to keep it that way.

·
Registered
31,348 Posts
I saw those pleas as well. But if you google, you'll find many are cleaned out because people adopted the animals.

·
Registered
5,640 Posts
I thought of this a few weeks in and try to crate Shadow and leave at least a few hours a day. A lot of folks are going to have issues with their new pets when they return to work.

·
Super Moderator
6,968 Posts
I suppose I’m grateful that there’s not much anxiety in our case.....but mr independent & nonchalant over here was starting to hurt my feelings until I went back to work for a couple of days and he was actually excited to see me when I returned home. You know, greeted me at the door instead of from bed at the other end of the house 🙄. I even got a kiss, and he’s not a kisser.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Look that up.
Wow, I just found out way more about Yulin and meat markets than I wanted to know. They truly have a different set of ethics with regards to dogs than we do.

Regardless, I wonder if any American really thinks they were saving a Golden retriever from the meat market. That stresses my suspension of disbelief.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Not true. Not by a long shot. I wish it was. Puppy farms are alive and thriving in Canada. Shadow came from one that was shut down shortly after, three more replaced it. One man in Alberta was fighting to open a larger production facility to feed his pet stores. He lost thank goodness. But the crappy breeder business is alive and thriving in Canada, and will continue for the foreseeable future . Quebec seems riddled with puppy mills.
Yeah, I was referring to puppy mills supplying pet stores, I think they're pretty well done here or non-existent unless it's some one off place. I haven't seen a puppy for sale in a pet store for decades in ON.

PetsMart for instance features adoptable pets from local animal welfare groups. In California, they've gone the same way.Puppy mills selling through Kijiji or Craigslist or whatever is a totally different story.

The opposite end of the spectrum is the breeder I just bought from two months ago had a couple of 12 week old dogs and a new litter just ready to go at 8 weeks.Corona hit and he won't show the dogs and will have to sell them older and that could be an issue unless he's now doing touchless one off interviews...

·
Registered
99 Posts
I hope you're right.

I just met someone who got a puppy from a farm in appalling conditions: dark barn, separated from the mother etc.

I haven't checked kijiji lately. I tend not to. It upsets me.
What I never understand is the number of ads for dogs 3-12 months old and the ad saying "we don't have time to give the dog the time it deserves, regretfully selling etc" THAT makes me sad, what time did you think a puppy demanded???.

Plus they want $1000 lol

21 - 38 of 38 Posts