German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So we've started running now that the weather's turned nice finally. I should correct myself actually... I am biking, while she is running beside me. :D

We've been doing about 5 miles a day I'd guess, maybe up to 7/8 even some days. She's been fine, in terms of stamina, and I slow it down in the latter half, and we don't go all out the whole time.

I have read that GSD's shouldn't have any issues running that much if they're in good health and condition, so the distance is not my concern. It got me thinking though if it's ok for her paws to be running on asphalt that much, or if they can dry up?

So far, they look fine. No cracks in them. Half the route I'd say is along people's yards, which is mostly grass at least.

But do people here who regularly run their dogs outside put anything on their paws every few days? Like this Musher's Secret stuff?

Amazon.com: Musher's Secret Pet Paw Protector Wax, 7-Ounce: Pet Supplies

Or are they pretty tough dogs, and for what we're doing, it's overkill? In the summer, the hottest it'll get here might be in the low 90's on some days, so it's not like we're going to be running in Arizona heat asphalt.

Over the winter, we went up to the mountains every weekend, and she ran a lot outside on the snow, and sometimes on the streets where there's salt, but it never bothered her paws that I saw, in case it helps.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
I use the mushers on my dogs pads. His are dry, from the salt from winter, from the gravel trails.. Not sure. It helps. Plus it protects the pads from hot surfaces (90 degrees is hot! Imagine walking barefoot on black asphalt when it's that hot.. ) we run alot too, 15-20 miles a week.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Banned
377 Posts
Your post makes it look like you started at 5 miles. That seems a lot as a start. Did you work up to the 5 miles?
I started jogging with my dog (3.5 years old) but found that she was dropping back within a mile and she is not overweight. Now, at 2.5 miles she is good all the way. Just like humans, dogs have to work up to distances. Of course, just like humans, all dogs have different capabilities.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everyone. I will pick up one of the Musher's Secret jars probably then.

I know what you mean by not going from no exercise to a 5 mile run every day. But I didn't do a formal program to work her way up to 5 miles. I guess she's just in pretty good shape, based on whatever exercise she was getting up to that point, with off leash walks and hikes, and the occasional short bike ride. She's not had any problems keeping up with me during our hour long rides. She's normally running in front of me in fact, but in the last parts, I find her running next to me, or just slightly behind, and that's when I know she's starting to tire out! :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts