German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so Thor is 8 weeks old. I've been working on potty training for 2 weeks. The first three days he did great not even one accident after that he refused to poop outside. We can be outside all day and he will not poop as soon as we come in he poops like three separate piles. I set a timer for every 45 minutes to take him out. And stay out 5 -15 minutes and he won't go. Nowi have to say he will not pee inside he just likes to poop. Dear husband is about to put him a kennel outside and not allow him back In at all so I desperately need help. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
721 Posts
Are you giving him free run, or is he crated when you aren't watching him? Are you cleaning up his messes with an enzymatic cleaner?

He's a baby, and it takes a while to learn control. Try taking him out every 20 minutes or so.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Did you try Wee Wee pads? We had the same issue with our Cezar. Once we put the pads down he would go on the pads. Afterabout a week or so we would bring the pad outside and lay it on the floor after a few times doing this he finally understood that he has to go outside. Goodluck.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I think you're expecting too much from an 8 week old puppy. I would start off with a crate just big enough for him to lay comfortably. Crate him and take him out at your designated times. If he goes let him out his crate for a few minutes to play and the re-crate. I'd do this for a few days and your pup should improve. If you have him out his crate and he's sitting or laying with you, the minute he starts moving or doesn't seem relaxed take him straight out and see if he goes. After about a week or two you should see major improvements. He has a tiny bladder and must go often. So have fun and good luck getting some rest.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I'm still potty training Sora (though we haven't had an accident in the house in about four days!), and I taught him to potty on command. While he was peeing or pooping, I would repeat, in a happy voice, "Go potty! Good boy!" a couple times. While he was doing it; he would look back at me and blink, so I know he was paying attention.

I still do this, but now when I let him out, I'll tell him to "Go Potty!" and he moseys out into the yard and does his business. Getting him to poop usually takes a bit more, because he has to investigate every corner before he goes, but he'll do that not long after I give him the verbal cue.

It took a few weeks to get this down. We brought him home at nine weeks old, and he'll be sixteen weeks old tomorrow. But he's got it down pretty well, and has for maybe a month now.

If you feel comfortable with the Wee Wee Pads, you can give those a go, but I personally wouldn't use them, and our trainer wouldn't recommend them to us either. They teach the dog to pee/poop in one spot in the house, and then when you try to get them to go outside, it just confuses them .

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
I recommend not getting the pads. Teach him to go outside only, not certain areas of the house where it's ok on the pads. If he's 8 weeks now and you have been at this for two weeks, give the little guy a break. He's literally a baby.

Crate train, use a divider if the crate is too big.

Feed planned meals so you can better predict his poop schedule. No free feeding. This little guy needs to be taken out night and day. I kept rain boots, flashlight and jacket by my back door for those midnight & 4am potty trips. My boy came home in the rainy Spring season.

German Shepherds are very smart and catch on quick. It takes patience and a schedule on our part, they will soon follow.

This will not be a puppy/dog who will be happy living outside alone. Especially at this age where training and a proper introduction to the world is so vital.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Are you giving him free run, or is he crated when you aren't watching him? Are you cleaning up his messes with an enzymatic cleaner?

He's a baby, and it takes a while to learn control. Try taking him out every 20 minutes or so.
No he has free run dh works crazy hours and is a firefighter on top of that so crate didn't last long with Thor screaming and whining non stop.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
He has a tiny bladder and must go often. So have fun and good luck getting some rest.
Thank you all for the help. He is house broke when It comes to urinating we have no problem, it's pooping I'm serious we was outside with him BBQ for six hours and he never went poop the second we walked in the door he pooped. He will whine to go out to pee but refuses to poop anywhere but inside. I'm begging to wonder if its something about the hall because our last puppy (not gsd) did the same thing and dh put him outside for a month and now he won't go to potty inside the house for nothing. But hebonly comes in when dh is not at home. It's a big step for him to let Thor be inside period and its getting harder and harder to convince him to let him be. Dh was raised where dogs were things that stayed outside and got scraps til they come up gone. It's been a big change for him and I really want it to go well.

·
Premium Member
16,483 Posts
If you cannot crate him, then tether him to you. Honestly though most puppies adjust to the crate and sleepless nights for awhile are simply the norm. You can get him used to it while your husband is not there. What on earth do you do with him when you sleep (the pup?)

·
Registered
595 Posts
He is only 8 weeks old?! But that is normal at 8 weeks to not be fully house broken.

I am sure someone else has mentioned this. But have you tried spraying/cleaning the areas he has pooped with a cleaner specially made for removing the odor? In my experience it really is very important to do this.

If your old puppy did go in the hallway perhaps it still has lingering traces of smell that this one picked up on.

·
Banned
1,157 Posts
i'd advise against using a pad. all that does is teach the pup its ok to go in the house. if the pup is pooping 3 piles in your house then its not the pups fault but your fault. you should be watching an 8 week pup like a hawk. the moment he squats you should give a stern no and carry him outside to poop then praise and treats. if he already pooped inside then you're not diligent enough. if you give him a stern no after he's already pooped then he might just think he pooped in the wrong spot inside the house. gotta catch him in the act! an 8 week pup poops and pees all day so its a lot of work but the more diligent you are, the faster he'll be potty trained.

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
What are you using to clean the areas where he poops? Have you tried moving the poop out into the yard where you want him to go?

Is he tethered to you in the house?

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
at 8 weeks old my pup was out every 20 minutes. overnight he was out
every 2 hours. you don't have to wait for bedtime to crate train. during
the day crate your pup for short periods several times a day. crate him
when you can't watch him. don't expect to much. be consistent with
your training. definitely don't put your pup in the yard in a kennel.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Life is messy

hi,
watch your puupy all the time when out of the crate and play near the door leading to the potty spot. put a small bell on the door the puppy can learn to jingle to let you know he has to go. everyone else is spot on with the crate , meals, pads, etc. good luck. remember positive reinforcement!!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks so I decided against the puppy pads. I'm really liking the bell idea. I have one week to get him trained or he's going outside. I'm about in years over all this. He just will not poop outside. We were outside yesterday for about four hours. I opened the door to come in he ran to the living room and pooped right on the carpet. I've never had this much trouble other than one other puppy same issue and he got put outside and I have to sneak him in when dh at work

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
If you cannot crate him, then tether him to you. Honestly though most puppies adjust to the crate and sleepless nights for awhile are simply the norm. You can get him used to it while your husband is not there. What on earth do you do with him when you sleep (the pup?)
He sleeps with me ( the pup).... What is tethering

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
Have you tried moving his poop outside to an area of your yard? That's what I would do in addition to keeping him on leash in the house.

Also, you need to clean your floors and rug with an enzyme cleaner or white vinegar and water. You also need to restrict his access to rooms with rugs (baby gates!).

·
Registered
721 Posts
What is tethering

Tethering is just what it sound like. The puppy is hooked onto one end of a leash, and you are hooked onto the other end. You and puppy are literally never more than six feet apart. That way, puppy can't wander off to find a convenient potty spot, and you can catch the first sign of him needing to potty.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts