German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
lately i'd say in the past week or two tyson has gotten bad about mouthing. im getting very frustrated with this behavior and am at whits end. he spends about 6-8 hours in his crate while we are at work. when i come home i let him out to go outside and do his business then come back in and he just kinda hangs out, laying down, chewing on a bone etc etc. then it seems when my GF comes home he is a different dog. he is hyper, into everything, mouthing anything just to get attention. so then he goes back into the crate. then ill let him out and we will go outside to play ball, or just enjoy the whether, he is usually good outside so thats not a problem. then after dinner (he is crated while we eat) we go for a walk, come back home and he is even worse because this is usually about the time when we are getting ready to relax before bed, so then i crate him because he will absolutley not chill out. the even worse part about it is that he has had a bumb right front leg due to a sprain (so the vet says, i dont trust doctors or vets) so i have to be carefull how much stress he is putting on his elbow which makes it hard for me to wear him down!! so here i need some help and some questions answered. how should i deal with this and when is crateing too much?? i really want his elbow 100% and yet i want a peace of mind without feeling guilty because i feel he is in the crate too much.

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
You really don't have a choice. You cannot run the crap out of him because of the leg and you don't want to ruin your relationship by having bad interaction with him. You have to crate him. As an idea, do some little stuff (obedience like sits, downs, maybe even teach him to front and finish) with food inside to wear him out mentally. Other than that, stuffed kongs to keep him busy. This will pass.

·
Registered
14,034 Posts
Anyplace nearby you can take him swimming? Great exercise, very tiring but non-impact!

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Originally Posted By: Lauri & The GangAnyplace nearby you can take him swimming? Great exercise, very tiring but non-impact!
he hates water
but im sure i could get him in if i through some toys in the pond or something

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally Posted By: ZeusGSDYou really don't have a choice. You cannot run the crap out of him because of the leg and you don't want to ruin your relationship by having bad interaction with him. You have to crate him. As an idea, do some little stuff (obedience like sits, downs, maybe even teach him to front and finish) with food inside to wear him out mentally. Other than that, stuffed kongs to keep him busy. This will pass.
thanks, i was kind of on the page of mentally wearing him down than physically. ive actually tought him a new "trick." i got bored the other day and wanted to teach him a new hand signal, i have him sit in front of me then with mny right hand at my side i will wave it behind me. from a sit he will walk around my right side and sit at my left side. its nothing fancy but i thought it was cool

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
Actually working on tricks is something you (and your GF?) could expand on while he's recuperating. There were a couple of recent threads on tricks people were wroking on. You could just google tricks and dogs and maybe find some websites with instructions on how to about it. That will help with the mental stimulation as well. Here's one thread from last year with some ideas.

What tricks have you taught your dog

Good luck!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts