German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am honestly sick and tired of reading about animal cruelty and neglect. And truly sick to my stomach the reasons why people leave their dogs at shelters or abandon them. Why get the dog in the first place if you are not going to give it what it needs. I live in a apartment my dog weighs 65 lbs. she has a pet deposit, pays 40$ in pet rent every month and has a dog walker at least once a week. Plus after 10 hrs leaving her alone. I come home tired and take her to the park. I am not rich but I do what is necessary for my dog. People can't even do the bare necessary and I just don't understand. I am venting out of pure frustration

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Because the world has turned into a use it, dump it, get a new one throw away society.
Get that cute puppy, after the kids get tired of it, just dump it and get another cute puppy.
No responsibility for anything alive these days.

·
Registered
3,132 Posts
Some of my favorites are 'We are having a baby and won't have time for our pet anymore'. One of our fosters is 13 and she was turned in for this reason. I don't know how much time an old dog who sleeps most of the time takes up during the day.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
I see all too often these all to familiar excuses;

We are having a baby and wont have time for it (often times these are very young dogs, and most of the time under 2 years old)

We are moving and cant take the dog with us, (again the same ages and all to often there are ad where the puppy is like 12 weeks old, like seriously? you didnt know you were moving before you got the dog?)

Work hours have changed so it wont be fair to the dog (so get a dog walker, its much easier on the dog and uprooting its life and dumping it at a shelter or giving it away)

And the list goes on, its disgusting... As for abuse/neglect it a sickening thing and unfortunately I dont see it ending anytime soon, we live in a world where we feel we can dominate everything, kill everything, do whatever we want to living creatures, its horrid.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Some of my favorites are 'We are having a baby and won't have time for our pet anymore'. One of our fosters is 13 and she was turned in for this reason. I don't know how much time an old dog who sleeps most of the time takes up during the day.
What's going to happen if they get pregnant a SECOND time? Give up the first baby?

·
Registered
294 Posts
Just this morning there was an article in our local paper about a dog left tied to a tree next to a creek bed while the water level was rising. Some kind hikers found the dog and carried her to safety. She was estimated to be 12 years old. She has puss coming out of one eye, a tumor on her leg and was 25 lbs underweight. Sickening. How can anyone do that?

Still there are legitimate reasons that people give up their animals to rescue. I used to foster dogs and while many cases were situations where we couldn't get the dog out of the awful situation fast enough, some were really sad. There were people who lost jobs and homes and had no way to care for a beloved family pet. There were people that took in a pet after a family member died and never really wanted a dog. There were people who got too sick (cancer or MS etc..) to take care of their dog anymore. These people truly cared about the dog and knew that rescue would find the dog a better situation. In these cases I was just as happy to help the people involved as I was to help the animals.

·
Premium Member
7,820 Posts
. There were people that took in a pet after a family member died and never really wanted a dog. There were people who got too sick (cancer or MS etc..) to take care of their dog anymore. These people truly cared about the dog and knew that rescue would find the dog a better situation. In these cases I was just as happy to help the people involved as I was to help the animals.
That is how I got Chevy and Thunder.The exhusband and his wife took them in b.c they didnt want to see their college aged daughter in pain over losing the girls who she grew up w/. They did their best and I still hear from their daughter . She actually joined here to stay in touch w/ the girls.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Because the world has turned into a use it, dump it, get a new one throw away society.
Get that cute puppy, after the kids get tired of it, just dump it and get another cute puppy.
Amen!

·
Registered
64 Posts
That's certainly the dominant attitude, but there are good people, many who care for their dogs like family, and many of those are represented on this forum. Despite the many things that we seem to debate here, (sometimes quite heatedly) the one thing that unites us is our love for our dogs!

There is plenty of bad in the world, and I simply can't fathom the mindset that would abuse a dog, but I try not to think about it. That may be selfish, but I find it too heart-breaking and I couldn't function if I did dwell on it too much. ...and when it comes down to it, there's not much I can really do about it.

I will just make sure that my dog is loved and cared for, for as long as her life lasts, and take solace in that. That's the one tangible thing we can do.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I see all too often these all to familiar excuses;

We are having a baby and wont have time for it (often times these are very young dogs, and most of the time under 2 years old)

We are moving and cant take the dog with us, (again the same ages and all to often there are ad where the puppy is like 12 weeks old, like seriously? you didnt know you were moving before you got the dog?)

Work hours have changed so it wont be fair to the dog (so get a dog walker, its much easier on the dog and uprooting its life and dumping it at a shelter or giving it away)

And the list goes on, its disgusting... As for abuse/neglect it a sickening thing and unfortunately I dont see it ending anytime soon, we live in a world where we feel we can dominate everything, kill everything, do whatever we want to living creatures, its horrid.

We let me switch it up for you. :) My wife and I had a baby in February ... and we are getting a GSD puppy this summer! And that dog will be with us whether we have 10 more kids or move 10 more times....

Unfortunately, we lost our 12 year old GSD to cancer just a couple of weeks before the baby came. We had hoped she would be around to meet our baby, but it was not to be. Giving her up though was never an option...

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
I hate when people are having a baby and dump the dog for that reason. I always had pets growing up, they enriched my childhood so much.

I hear you, I give so much to my dog, I can't understand the people who can do this to these poor animals. I have horses too, so after a long day at work, I come home tired, but do barn chores, take care of the dog, work the horses.

I think a lot of people have no idea how much work a pet is because they don't do their homework, or they get a breed that doesn't suit their lifestyle, because they like the look of it. Then when things go wrong, they dump it, rather than work toward a solution.

I hate our disposable attitude in society.

·
Registered
744 Posts
The way I see it is dogs are also babies. So if say you have one child and then u have another child does that meant its acceptable to turn your child to the orphanage because now it's extra work for you and inconvenient ??!!! At least if you did that your child wouldn't be killed. Dogs on the other hand are completely helpless. I personally know a girl my age already rehomed 2 GSD while they are not even grown yet and now she is thinking of getting another one to "guard the house". And then course she will end up returning it:( I already told her house alarm will be cheaper but people just don't listen!!!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
18,371 Posts
I think it very sad to give up an animal, sadder to abaondon it tied to a tree. :(

One of my favorite excuses for a GSD pup. "it got big!" YA THINK??

1 - 14 of 14 Posts