German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:cry:

My mother works for a couple who have two small girls. They have one dog already (a neutered male small breed mix,) and they have a cat (that they decided to four paw declaw...BUT let it outside anyways because "it stands by the door wanting to go out.") The cat has already come back to the house with another cat's claw lodged in its eyeball, requiring surgery, and yet, they still let the cat out. My mother, on the other hand, though allergic to cats, keeps the cat indoors when she is over there taking care of the children. She merely takes her prescription allergy meds and puts the cat in the back part of the house (big play room) with its litterbox, food, and water.

About a week ago, the father finds a young "bulldog mix" on the side of the road and decides...he wants it.

He sees that it's underweight, cowers when you raise your voice and decides, "she needs a home." He takes the pup to the Vet who determines it has mange and needs to be spayed as well. Spaying complete...mange treatment started.

Sounds responsible, right? (well...besides the whole cat situation which is.....well...we won't go there)

They tell my mom that they are keeping the pup in the garage. No bed. No crate. Just some puppy pads, food and water. They will keep it there until they get their yard fenced in and then it will be an "outside dog."

The pup is young (6-7 mths old maybe based on pictures and teeth,) and it now has a life of sleeping on concrete while it's recovering from its spay surgery and mange.

In the matter of a week, it has successfully............

1) Eaten the moulding around the bottom of the wall
2) Eaten the moulding lining the steps
3) Eaten half of the door frame leading from the garage into the kitchen
4) Has started gnawing on the bricks

Their response?

"If you hear her chewing on something, just go outside and give her a good whack. She'll learn."

I can't tell you how furious :mad: I am everytime my mother calls to tell me what their newest request is.

I told my mother, "the puppy, among other things, is BORED. Because it's out in the garage (let outside to potty only,) it will find things to do. No one is there to reprimand her or properly train her so she's going to do whatever to get attention/stop her boredom."

They (owners) are deadset and determined to have her be an "outside dog," but wait until this bulldog, who will probably mature out to 80-90 lbs. decides to make their nice sod yard a dirt lot. Wait until this 80-90 lbs dog gets SO excited to see people pay attention to it that it jumps up and knocks people over. They were just going to "keep her outside." I asked about housing for her. They said, "well we have the porch." I at least convinced them to get a doghouse for her, but man.......some folks do NOT need pets!

·
Registered
5,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I feel for 'outside' dogs. Don't people know they want to be with humans? Perhaps they should get a stuffed animal instead :)
Their little dog is an "inside dog."

The "inside dog" has slid out from an opened door when the Bulldog mix was pottying in the backyard, and the "inside dog" latched onto the Bulldog and started biting it. The Bulldog cowered down and urinated all over herself :(

·
Registered
5,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
very bad for the cat too. No claws to protect himself.
Yes - as has already been discovered when it came back home torn up from a fight with another cat's claw embedded in its retina.

My mother sent me photos of the dog, and it's definitely an American Bulldog. Wonderful. Just what "needs" to be an "outside dog" without any training.....an American Bulldog that will get a good 80-90+ lbs.

·
Registered
5,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I figured when I go to visit my parents, I would have my mom bring me over (since I've met the couple before) to "show me the puppy." That way, maybe I can give them some pointers on training and manners.

·
Registered
5,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well....it's a little (BIG) girl, and after they took her today for another treatment (since she has mange,) the Vet told them, "she's going to be around 90 lbs or so." They said, "absolutely not."

My mother called me this afternoon to "ask around to some bulldog places that might want her." Okay well I KNOW the "bulldog places" (aka rescues) are just FULL to the gills right now, and I don't know anyone who would adopt an AB that is still undergoing mange treatment, but I told my mother I would ask around and also try to find a spot for her. She already has her shots. She's already been spayed, and she's a super friendly girl. They have yet to hear her bark. She's submissive around other dogs. She LOVES kids.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts