German Shepherds Forum banner

61 - 68 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
But burns are where I draw the line. Burns of large portions of the body. Burns are so painful.
Not after they stick the fish skins on. This is a huge advance in burn treatment. Check this out, and make sure you watch the video. It's about bears with burned paws who were saved using the fish skins and it's a happy ending story that will make your day.

www.vice.com/en_us/article/ne4x3k/burned-bear-paws-fish-skin

Again, you'll have to do edit/copy edit/paste to make the link work.

The vet in the video is an awesome lady with an determined "I will make this happen for the animals" attitude. Which is where I come from, not the "This and that and maybe this are just too many obstacles so we can't make it happen" attitude. We can't fix everything but we are obligated to fix what we can. And we can make it happen for those sweet dysplastic GSDs.

There's a saying I always liked: If you reach for the stars, you might not make it. But at least you won't come up with a handful of mud.

·
Registered
4,220 Posts
I believe that euthanizing a suffering animal regardless to whether or not it can be treated is ok. I think as an owner and decision maker for a creature, you have to decide whether enduring the suffering through the treatment makes sense or not. It is a decision that is hard enough to make, and most folks question it enough. I think it is personal. I don't think it is helpful to vilify folks who do not try to alleviate the pain in a creature they love.
When I was very young I had a horse that had a neurologic condition that no one could diagnose. They thought he had EPM, but he didn't...so many other things, but no test was conclusive, no treatment worked. He had a spontaneous remission where he was okay for awhile and then boom one day it just came back.

In total, 3 of the 6 years he was my horse were spent trying to diagnose or treat the problem and he was unrideable. People asked me why I would keep an unrideable horse. Because his life had more value than whether i could ride him. I was in my early twenties and I bankrupted myself trying to get to the bottom of it.

At last my country vet, maybe the 10th to be on his case, took me aside and said, "If you want to put him down, it's okay. There is no wrong answer. If you want to put him down because you can't afford to keep doing this or you can't handle it anymore, that's okay too." I needed to hear that so bad.

I'll spare you the particulars of his problems, but there was no good future for him. He still had light in his eyes, he could still walk. I set a date so we had a little time to enjoy together and I had him put down while he could still walk out of the barn on his own. He was very proud. I felt he deserved and wanted to maintain some pride in going to his death with dignity.

In the end I declined yet another treatment attempt. I put him down instead. I have never regretted it. Sometimes things are too complicated no one knows what is right but the person and the animal. And we should leave them to it with the least judgement.

But I'm guilty of judging people sometimes....there is a dog who boards with me who is very old and in a lot of pain and her owner is cheaping out and giving her half doses of her pain meds to save money. It makes me furious. If he won't do everything he can to make her comfortable he should put her down, instead he lets her linger like this in preventable pain. I've even pushed the boundaries of my position by pressuring him a little to let me take her to the vet for necessary treatment while she's in my care... I push it as far as I can without losing him as a client...not because I care about the money but because I care so much about the dog. Nobody else would do the things I do for her if she were boarded somewhere else. She is such a good, good girl, and my heart breaks for her and I do anything and everything I can do to improve her situation in any small way. It's a constant struggle to try and push him to take better care of the dogs, allow me to take better care of the dogs, without running him off to board them in some horrible kennel where they'd get so much less than they do now. They are the sweetest dogs you could ever imagine, and I really love them. I don't get this emotional about all my guests but this particular family really gets to me

·
Registered
419 Posts
Weird about the out of state thing because so many dogs in NH are shipped up from Texas or other states. Seems contradictory.
The issue is adopting to an out-of-state person rather than transferring to an out-of-state rescue group. Used to be more flexibility but not anymore.

·
Registered
4,899 Posts
Selzer, if everyone was responsible about money we could trust people who are soliciting but I’ve seen too much waste as well. I agree with you and MAWL.

·
Super Moderator
21,368 Posts
New Hampshire just got done with 20+ dogs that were confiscated last year from a "breeder"..The dogs had to be held as evidence for over a year..The "breeder" had not one but two fires in which dogs died, a number of dogs died..Unfortunately she got away , with, well murder and neglect of these animals..she basicaly got a slap on the wrist and will most likely continue breeding under a different name . She was allowed return of I believe it was 8 dogs maybe? The rest are up for adoption..THe new hampshire animal society, got stuck with an 80,000 plus bill to care for these dogs for that time..

Donate or don't,,real simple..NH and Mass are loaded is loaded with byb'ers ..just sayin

·
Registered
332 Posts
What a poop show this thread has turned into. I honestly don’t think there is ANY topic that can be posted here without a bunch of grandstanding breaking out. Just give money or don’t.

I’m just waiting for someone to poop all over my Santa picture I posted. Maybe bring up some Santa conspiracy theory on how Santa teaches GSDs bad behaviors.
This is the funniest post I’ve ever read on here. LOL. I’d like to read that Santa post! Hahahah

61 - 68 of 68 Posts