German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ammo has gotten really picky about he dog food lately. Part of the time he won't eat at all, like today. I buy him Diamond Extreme Athlete, the best I can get in this small town. He is 9 months old weighs 76 lbs and is in good shape. It just worries me that he is so picky.

I have mixed eggs in with his food and he ate good a couple days, till he got tired of the eggs. Then I started making a gravy by soaking some kibble and mixing it with the dry, now he is tired of that too. What else can I try to get him to eat? Am I worrying to much about him? Any ideas?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
If he's in good shape then I wouldn't worry about him skipping a meal or two. I would just put down the food for 15 minutes or so, then pick it up until the next meal time

I add a little wet canned food and warm water to each meal, along with a raw egg a few times a week.

·
Registered
7,289 Posts
He is probably just going through a phase, like Shade said if he is otherwise healthy I wouldn't worry too much about it. I too add a little wet food to the kibble and I alternate flavors so it is not the same thing all the time. If he goes for several days and hasn't eaten then I would set up a date with the vet.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Try alternating toppings of salmon, mackerel, tuna, pumpkin, yogurt - all good stuff. I'll also do occasional toppings of can food or bits of meat and veggies left from our dinner. Woolf is picky or gets easily bored with the same thing day after day - heck I would to.

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
I forgot to add that I do swap flavours each bag, Fromm Four Star allows it easily. It's not always possible but can help

·
Super Moderator
5,897 Posts
I've been feeding my two girls Victor (in the purple bag). Ellison Feed and Seed (on Porter) sells it. They like it. You might want to switch his food up sometimes. I rarely stay with one kibble for long. I pick two or three and switch back and forth.

I think the purple bag of Victor (Professional?) is appropriate for large breed puppies. You might want to check first, if you decide to get some.

·
Super Moderator
5,897 Posts
And I also add something to every meal. A bit of canned food usually, but not the same kind.

I have had many different breeds of dogs over the last 35 years, but I have never had a breed as difficult to feed as a shepherd. Crazy!

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I bought yogurt and cottage cheese to add to his food. I also bought some chicken livers, but am not sure about adding them. Hopefully he will like the variety.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
Mine went through a phase of pushing to see how far I'd go. I went over the edge, lol! I was actually hand feeding him, ugh. And I was mixing in so much stuff (pumpkin, yoghurt, eggs, tuna, etc.) that I finally said enough. Now I put the toppings on top and if he hasn't eaten it in 15 minutes, away it goes. The first time I took it away he was surprised, lol. What a look on his face! He was really starting to enjoy the hand feeding business, little monkey.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Mine did the same at 1 years old. Here's what I did:

First I tried to rotate with canned wet food in her kibble, she'd like it the first day, then get bored.

I then added a raw egg, which worked for a while, then she stopped caring.

I then added raw beef on top, which also worked for a while, then she got bored.

I tried a few different kibbles, and same story.

Eventually, I got sick of wasting money tossing food away and went with the "dogs are smart, they'll eat when they're hungry".

After 2-3 days of not eating, she started to eat.

Now all we do is feed her the same kibble and just crush a Proplan biscuit and throw it in. Seems to work great :)

·
Registered
74 Posts
I agree with many of the others that say to leave the food down for a short time. If you are feeding him a good quality food and he is healthy I wouldn't worry. Our Dobermine (who is 7) was like that for a long time and we tried all sorts of tricks to get him to eat. Once we started taking his food away, he quickly figured out that if he was hungry he better eat when he was fed. We have done the same thing with Zoe, our new GSD puppy, and she eats like a champ so far.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
maybe he doesn't like what you're feeding. switch brands. i'm not sure why
people think when they buy certain brand of food the dog has to like it. twice
my dog stopped eating his food. i switched brands each time. now he eats
anything. i'm always switching brands of kibble. i keep a variety of brands
of can food on hand. i use the can food as a topping along with a host
of other things.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts