German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I have to say having this new puppy has been a challenge. Between getting her out of a complete lack of confidence which made walking near impossible ( she has totally come around in this and looks forward to hear walks, no more pulling to go back home and refusing to move), Puppy pyoderma, then conjunctivitis, then reoccurring conjunctivitis.

Now she has (what Im guessing) is a rash of some sort or something. She has sores and red scabby bumps all over her belly and her back legs. She keeps licking and chewing which is probably not helping. I called her vets and because its a long weekend they have been slammed, they had to see if they could squeeze us in. I just got a call back from the office and was told that they are going to finish up their last appointments and should be done within the hour and they will give me a call to let me know so I can bring Penny in (they said by noon so roughly 45 minuets or so)

Hoping this isnt going to turn into Chronic Pyoderma *sighs*

Wish us the best

·
Registered
9,790 Posts
The vet is going to give you antibiotics and this might mess up her stomach and gut, making your headaches even bigger.
I would suggest getting some Vetericyn and some benzoyl peroxide shampoo. Use the shampoo every couple of days, only where the spots are, as per bottle directions, and the Vetericyn four times a day.
Puppies don't have strong immune systems yet and are prone to those belly rashes.
I'm thinking the last thing a delicate immune system needs is antibiotics.
Others may disagree :)

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well found out it is the Pyoderma a fairly progressed stage of it... She has to take antibiotics as well as have the baths with this shampoo as well... Poor thing... and $200 later.

And people wonder why I am so against BYB. I had no choice in this pup it was a gift from my family but the differences between my last GSD who came from a reputable breeder to Penny who was a BYB special, is crazy, temperament wise as well as health wise! I mean I know you can still get good pups from a BYB but being this my first BYB dog, it only reaffirms the fact that I will never own another one. *sighs*

1 - 3 of 3 Posts