German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So yesterday was day 2 of crate training, day one went well Yoshi only cried for about an hour before going to sleep. So I had to run out and get gas for the car yesterday before our trip to the vet, I got back home to find 2 pieces of plastic laying in front of her cage. One was the cover for the latch , I attempted to open the crate and realized she had pulled the cage door so hard it had jumped out of the catch and was inside the cage and she had snapped the plastic stop off. I put it back together and figured we'd be ok. So bedtime came and I put her in her crate , she carried on a bit and I went to my bedroom only to hear this loud metallic thud and no more crying but a jingling collar, I opened the door and there she was... She had forced the door open pushing so hard from inside that she bent the metal enough to pop the rods out of their holes. I was amazed I tried one more time and she got out in less than 2 minutes. So the brand new crate is bent and damaged and can no longer hold my dog... great...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So she spent the night in her bed right next to my side of the bed. We have changed our philosophy, and we have sectioned out a room for her to stay in while we are at work, we tested it today for about 2 hours and she didn't do anything bad, the real test will be Monday when I head back to work. Here's to fingers crossed. :fingerscrossed: If she can't be trusted I'll have to go with an all metal cage that won't be so easy to break. We shall see.:shrug:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Did you do actual training with her and the crate? Because just placing the pup in and walking away isn't helping them learn that their crate is their "den/safe place" feed her yummy treats she doesn't get all the time to build a good association with the crate.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
4,093 Posts
my gsds did not require crate training. we put the crate in our bedroom and after the first two nights she only whimpered at night to go "out".

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
Mine didn't, either. He was fine from day one.

What kind of kennel was this- name brand? Hate to break it to you, but they can destroy the wire crates just as easy. One reason I went with a kennel. My previous male decided at about 6 years old he wasn't going to be crated at all... and tore apart two of them. :crazy: Sounds like maybe this pup has some separation anxiety going on. How about putting a kennel in your room where the pup can see you at night? Although I honestly don't have a clue what you're going to do when you leave... UGH! :( How big is your puppy and what age?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yeah we did some work trying to ease her in, but today is day 3 with her so there wasn't much before she broke it. We had dogs previously and crate trained them rather easily. She is 1.5 yrs old and 71 lbs and a rescue, I'm sure that this has a lot to do with it. She definitely shows some separation anxiety, and she shows some aggression toward other dogs, but we are seeing an improvement in this as well. We have moved the crate Pet Smart Grreat Choice brand name into an area where she can see us at all times. I'm sure its not the best available but the same style had been effective for previous dogs.
Thanks for the encouragement on the metal crate...lol we shall see what happens, thanks for all the input.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update

Yoshi did awesome today... we have a room set aside for her, she has room to move and look around, the crate is there and the bent door has been removed she can enter and leave at her leisure no damage and no accidents when she was let out of the room:). I am feeling positive she will be ok with this setup. I want to thank all the forum members who posted about their experiences and helped us with this issue. I am so thankful to have found such a great knowledge base here, and we can enjoy our rescue experience. She continues to make strides around new people and animals, and we will continue to help our new girl become more comfortable in these situations. Thanks again for all the info posted here, you folks are the best. :D:D:D

·
Registered
86 Posts
What we are doing with daisy is I have her crate inside of a metal pen. That way she has peepee pads to use. During the day we are putting her in the crate. She has taken right to the crate, sleeping in there even with the door open. In about a week she will start spending all night in the crate and we will stop using the pen altogether.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts