German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just out of curiousity i was on petharbor.com for onslow shelter in jacksonville NC and came across and PB beautiful black and tan 6, almost 7 year old female GSD. SHE WAS DUMPED AT THE SHELTER ON VALENTINE"S DAY!!! I am so mad and hurt for this angel! Thats worse than people breaking up with people on valentines day. I mean come on! I'm so angry. My husband, the man who says NO MORE!!!! is actually tempted to go see if she is still available tomorrow. Her name is Candy. Says she's crate trained and housebroken, good with other dogs. It doesnt say anything about cats. I really dont understand how people can be so heartless. Thats just..... the choice words i have for the poor girls previous owners i cant say here. So anyone in the area looking for a beautiful older girl she's there. Onslow Animal Shelter in Jacksonville NC. she's gorgeous.

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
That's horrible!! Buuuuutttt, you do have a spot open now...I mean, it must be sooooo quiet in your house with only 2 dogs!

Oh, and where are the pics??

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i would love to go get her but we cant do it. There is too much going on in the next couple months she would only get more stressed out and confused beyond what i'm sure she already is having been dumped at a very high kill shelter. I couldnt stress her out like that. Plus there is no certainty we're going to be living out in town when we change stations either. I mean we could "probably" foster her for a very short time but we also dont have any way of knowing how she'd be with cats either.

If someone much better than myself at pulling pics and posting them wants to, they can go to petharbor.com. type in 28543 in the search bar. She's at onslow shelter in Jville in the 2nd to last page i believe. you might be able to post her picture whereas i'm unable.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for posting the link Larien.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i'm literally not even 15 minutes from the shelter. If ANYONE is interested, i might be able to get a babysitter and i can go meet her. Hubby goes back to work in the morning otherwise i wouldnt need a sitter lol. I also know there are a couple other jville members on the board. I'm hoping they know about her and might be able to help.

·
Registered
508 Posts

I'm not one to speek, becaue I can't take a picture worth a darn, but that photo is just a little bit out of focus! :help:

She does look like a solid dog though. I just don't understand the concept of a disposable dog. Mine stay with me untill one of us dies. :blush:

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

I'm not one to speek, becaue I can't take a picture worth a darn, but that photo is just a little bit out of focus! :help:

She does look like a solid dog though. I just don't understand the concept of a disposable dog. Mine stay with me untill one of us dies. :blush:

I have my animals and i have ones i help. If i could right now, she would definitely be one i would help. The shelter never takes good photos either. I think i'm going to try and get a sitter for a short time tomorrow if i'm feeling better and go meet this girl. Maybe see if they have any other shepherds tucked away they arent showing too.

·
Registered
15,884 Posts
It is always sad to see a dog placed in a shelter or pound but better to have them turned in than turned loose or truly dumped out in the country. BTW I doubt that the dog knew it was Valentine's Day. Last I knew that was a human thing and not a universal one.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It is always sad to see a dog placed in a shelter or pound but better to have them turned in than turned loose or truly dumped out in the country. BTW I doubt that the dog knew it was Valentine's Day. Last I knew that was a human thing and not a universal one.

its doesnt matter whether the dog knows what the day was or not. its the fact of the matter. Its supposed to be a day of "love" and caring and to dump your animal at a shelter, much less one that has such a high kill rate... its wrong on an epic scale. Its similar to ditching an animal on Christmas. There are tons of resources available in the area and they took the easy way out.

Though it also begs the question of was she the only one dumped? Is she the oldest and thats why they dumped her? dump her before medical issues start showing up and costing money? I think what would irk me more is if she was dumped by a military family. Tis the season for moving and more and more animals will be ditched at the enter but probably never leave alive shelter. Going to see how serious hubby is about maybe at least fostering her until we can find a home for her. My uncle is looking for another dog..... gonna go email him now...

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
its doesnt matter whether the dog knows what the day was or not. its the fact of the matter. Its supposed to be a day of "love" and caring and to dump your animal at a shelter, much less one that has such a high kill rate... its wrong on an epic scale. Its similar to ditching an animal on Christmas. There are tons of resources available in the area and they took the easy way out.

Though it also begs the question of was she the only one dumped? Is she the oldest and thats why they dumped her? dump her before medical issues start showing up and costing money? I think what would irk me more is if she was dumped by a military family. Tis the season for moving and more and more animals will be ditched at the enter but probably never leave alive shelter. Going to see how serious hubby is about maybe at least fostering her until we can find a home for her. My uncle is looking for another dog..... gonna go email him now...
Also she might have been dumped because a new holiday puppy took her place. You know that saying "out with the old in with the new". There might not be any medical issues just might be "oh she doesn't like the new puppy, well she has to go". Whatever reason she was dumped though I hope she gets a good home.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Also she might have been dumped because a new holiday puppy took her place. You know that saying "out with the old in with the new". There might not be any medical issues just might be "oh she doesn't like the new puppy, well she has to go". Whatever reason she was dumped though I hope she gets a good home.

the more and more i think about it, the more i kick myself because i keep going back and forth between yes and no. I know the answer HAS to be no because we just cant do it right now but its also yes because the only dogs that leave that shelter are 3 and under in most cases unless by some miracle someone goes in looking for an older dog. Its just the way of the area. She reminds me a great deal just from her picture of the first shepherd that i knew that made me love the breed even more. Maybe thats why its so hard?

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Is there a rescue that might be able to help her?

none in the area i'm aware of. Without any further information other than what the site provides they may not even know about her. I dont even know who to email about her either.

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
Oh poor girl, KZoppa I hope your able to help her. I adopted a 7 year old female from my breeder and she is just the sweetest! I could not imagine dumping her or any of my dogs at the shelter, esp one that kills!!!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts