German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I heard the way you kitten proof a home is to get on your knees and crawl around, taking care of the stuff that's on that level that is harmful. So my question is, when puppy proofing a home, do you do the same thing you do when you kitten proof a home?

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
Actually that is a good idea. Also, hide all of your cords and remote controls. Find a new place for your toilet paper and garbage cans. :)

Did you just get a new puppy or are you getting one soon?

·
Registered
200 Posts
I bought a baby corral and extension. I use 4 of the gates hooked together to block off the stairs and entrance behind the couch, and the second set of 4 gates hooked together to block off the other end of my couch. This way the puppy can't get behind my couch, at least not without some effort so I can stop him. I also used a baby gate to block off a small hallway where we now keep all our shoes. It's worked well so far.

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
I bought a baby corral and extension. I use 4 of the gates hooked together to block off the stairs and entrance behind the couch, and the second set of 4 gates hooked together to block off the other end of my couch. This way the puppy can't get behind my couch, at least not without some effort so I can stop him. I also used a baby gate to block off a small hallway where we now keep all our shoes. It's worked well so far.
Yes. The gates are a life saver. And a crate.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
basically you're baby proofing your home. Anything that is remotely at their level is potential hazard. getting down to their level on your hands and knees gives you a different view because unless you're down at their level, you'd really never notice how dangerous something is or could be.

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
I heard the way you kitten proof a home is to get on your knees and crawl around, taking care of the stuff that's on that level that is harmful. So my question is, when puppy proofing a home, do you do the same thing you do when you kitten proof a home?
I don't.

It just makes further training in the future when the puppy grows up and suddenly there are new things to investigate. I'd prefer them to learn from the get go that cords, remotes, etc aren't toys and I ensure there are plently of safe dog toys laying around that they learn to play with. If they start to investigate an inappropriate item, say ah ah or whatever your "no" term is, followed by leave it, then redirect to an appropriate toy.

And of course, pups are only permitted loose in the house when under 100% supervision (this means eyes on the puppy!!) otherwise in x-pen, crate, or tethered to me.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
I don't.

It just makes further training in the future when the puppy grows up and suddenly there are new things to investigate. I'd prefer them to learn from the get go that cords, remotes, etc aren't toys and I ensure there are plently of safe dog toys laying around that they learn to play with. If they start to investigate an inappropriate item, say ah ah or whatever your "no" term is, followed by leave it, then redirect to an appropriate toy.

And of course, pups are only permitted loose in the house when under 100% supervision (this means eyes on the puppy!!) otherwise in x-pen, crate, or tethered to me.
Same method here.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
[Also, hide all of your cords and remote controls]

Yes hide the remote controls else you will always find your tv on animal planet all the time!

Mac's Mom is correct because they will chew on anything but I laughed when I read that because my first thought was hide it so he doesn't change the channel! ;)

·
Registered
420 Posts
I don't.

Same method here as well.

Not to mention, having 2 kids means that there will be toys down at kid/puppy level, so the puppy has to learn what is ok to chew and what is not. If I put everything above puppy level, my 2 year old wouldn't have any toys to play with either.

·
Registered
936 Posts
that is how we started out and then you have to take into account how fast they grow, when they all of a sudden can look up and see those curtains way up there! By 16 weeks old my little guy could reach the center of the dining room table....

For some reason my boy thinks it is naughty if he drags he dog bed around the room so he tends to do that thinking we will react.

I find the more you freak over an object they try to get, the more they try to get that object in the future.

You have to be real cool and calm so they do not see the "value" of that thing :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.