German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was in our vet's office for a weigh in with Raya and there was a lady in the office in tears. Asked the receptionist what was wrong and she said that her 12 yr old dog was being PTS and she was understandbly very upset. So we were visiting and getting some love (for Raya not me) and the vet's new wife comes out and see's the lady sitting there and says to her " What you crying for it's just a dog!" I couldn't believe it! Come to find out the New wife has just been imported from the Philipines and I am thinking from a very rural area. At this point the poor distraught lady gets up and say's through her tears "well were we come from we don't eat dogs" Now before I get beat about being mean to the Philipino's out there I have nothing agaisnt the race our country I just think she should keep her thoughts to her self in this case. There have been other serious issues with him such as not willing to do Xray's on a dog that had been shot and just suggesting to the owner to take the dog home. He did this because he wouldn't pay for an updated inspection on his machine. The dog began to vomit feces and urine and was just told to keep water down for the dog.

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
If the vet won't pay for an updated inspection on his x-ray machine, what else are they cutting corners on? Are they even currently certified?
MAJOR red flag, IMO. I would run, not walk, to find a different vet.

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
What a horrible experience! Obviously that kind of attitude is reflected in the level of care. Run away!!!

·
Registered
27,206 Posts
I think I would be alerting the Veterinary medical board in your state about his practices...if he isn't keeping his equipment up to date or in good condition how can he properly practice? I had a vet that should have retired a decade before he did. His hands shook during exams and I believe he was still doing surgical procedures. He misdiagnosed Onyx with HD when she only had Pano. All because he positioned her wrong. After 40 yrs practicing how could he not know a GSD pup had Pano?
And how could he not know proper positioning(especially when she was sedated) And how many others did he misdiagnose?
Your vet is doing no favors to any animals he is "treating".
How sad!

·
Registered
4,782 Posts
I think I would be alerting the Veterinary medical board in your state about his practices...if he isn't keeping his equipment up to date or in good condition how can he properly practice? I had a vet that should have retired a decade before he did. His hands shook during exams and I believe he was still doing surgical procedures. He misdiagnosed Onyx with HD when she only had Pano. All because he positioned her wrong. After 40 yrs practicing how could he not know a GSD pup had Pano?
And how could he not know proper positioning(especially when she was sedated) And how many others did he misdiagnose?
Your vet is doing no favors to any animals he is "treating".
How sad!
I agree with that.

I would be finding a new vet asap!!!!

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
Wow, I can't believe his wife said that. If our dogs were 'just dogs', vet practices wouldn't exist because if they were ever sick or injured with even the most minor problems we'd just take them out back and shoot them instead of requesting veterinary care. I'm surprised a veterinarian would marry a women with such a poor view of animals, unless he has the same views!

I've only had to put one animal to sleep in my life so far, and it was a little budgie I only had for a year that developed a tumor in her beak and could no longer breathe properly. I was crying then, and I would have went off on anyone who told me it was 'just a bird'.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Onyx we were looking for a new vet after our last experience with him. Raya got bit by a spider on her tummy when she was only about 4 mos old and it swelled up to about the size of half a ping pong ball so we took her in on Saturday to have him look at her and he just told us to watch it and if it got worse to bring her in on Monday and then had the gall to charge us a 180 dollars for an office visit. After talking to vet tech friend of ours she told me that SOP for a spider bite is an injection of something that I forgot the name of not to just "Watch it".

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Syaornsbear sorry you must have been typing when I was replying to Onyx. On the choice of wives his first marriage ended when after getting pregnant the wife wanted to have the baby near her parents so moved to live with them and then filed for divorce and never came back. He feels his genes are too good to not procreate so he went and imported a wife. He was a really good vet when we started using him almost 15 years ago but he went downhill fast, but it was so convient he is right next door to our shop and since all the furkids go to work with the husband it was no big deal just to pop across the parking lot. P.S. I visited Sasktoon once when I was in girl scouts years ago, it was cold even in August at the lake.

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
Holy Bad Attitude, Batman!! That was ridiculous. I know that when I had Oreo (my 8 year old bunny) pts in Nov the vet and all of the staff were wonderful. She wasn't my normal vet since my vet doesn't treat "exotic" pets but she was someone recommended to me by my vet's tech. They were all so kind and I saw one of the receptionists with tears in her eyes as I stood at the counter to pay and make arrangements to have him privately cremated. Of course, I was crying while I did all of that. I can't imagine someone walking out and telling me "he was only a rabbit". I definitely wouldn't have handled that well at ALL!!

And for the vet not to be keeping the inspections up to date on his equipment...that is just as insane. I would be running not walking to a new vet. Today.

·
Registered
6,690 Posts
Ih agree! I probably would have said something much worse than the lady did, just as a bystander. If I was in her position, I can't even think what I would say - it wouldn't have been nice though!

The people at my vets office were upset to hear about Patches. They had asked about him every visit since his broken leg. And when Freya was euthanized they sent a casting of her paw print and a sympathy card signed by all the employees.

I think this is a case of "should have kept her opinions to herself"!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts