German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When Elmo was about 16 weeks old, I wrote a story titled "Our puppy is a genius". My husband was outside and Elmo accidentally locked him out. We have a piece of wood at the bottom of the sliding glass door. Elmo sat down and pushed the wood in and locked him out. When he saw my husband pounding on the door hoping to push the wood out of the way with the vibrations, Elmo picked up the wood and moved it! It was a great story.

Well.... this weekend, I got locked out the same way. This time, poor Elmo didn't know what to do. I was telling him the Speak command so he could wake up my husband. I told him to go get daddy. He ran upstairs and came back a few minutes later. My hubby was sound asleep. Elmo laid down and let out a big sigh out of frustration. We have a lock on our fence because we worry about someone accidentally leaving it open. The gas company guy goes into people's yards and leaves the gate open. So, I was locked in our yard. I ended up climbing over the fence and going to the front door to ring the door bell.

Emo was such a good boy. He listened so well to everything I said.

That same day, we took Elmo to the vet. The last time he was there, he was much smaller so I wasn't sure how he was going to react. He was so well behaved. While we were in the waiting room, he went to greet another door. The dog barked at him. Elmo just walked away like "forget you." He was friendly with everyone and he was great getting his shots too.

Then, later in the afternoon I took him to my parents house to play in their yard. Their nieghbor's dog was out and barking at Elmo. He was running back and forth along the fence line. Elmo let out a little muffled bark. But, that was it. I was tossing his ball and he was running out and fetching it. He was totally focused on the game. The other dog was going nuts.

I'm so proud of my boy! I can't help but think of Cesar Milan talking about a well balanced dog. Elmo may not be a genius, but he is well balanced!

·
Registered
2,668 Posts
I remember that story. I can see that happining to my wife and her sending sarge upstairs to wake me up. Me waking up and saying, go lay down sarge, and him just going to the foot of the bed and going to sleep...lol

Good job Elmo!!! you are da man!!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts