German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When we got Blitz I think the ten hour flight and just being a GSD puppy got the best of her, she bonded to me and my family right away but we had most of the socialization problems that a lot of people on here have, barking at strangers and not letting any one pet her.

Well I'm happy to report that after 6 weeks of petsmart, dog food stores and puppy socialization classes things are getting MUCH better! today I brought her with me to a small store to buy her food, the owner had her big dog there, Blitz was a bit stand offish at first with her hackles raised but after only a minute (usually took much longer) they were playing like old friends around the store AND 3 diffrent coustomer walked in that she had never met, one being a man and she greeted them all happily!!

Glad to know our almont daily trips are working!

Here is Blitz and sweet Nala having fun!

·
Premium Member
800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Feeling a bit bummed this morning :0( Went to the vets and in the exam room she hid under me when the vet and his male tec tried to look at her. Granted it was a small space and they are both big guys but he went as far as to call her flighty. Once he stopped activly trying to pet her she walked around the room fine with him in it and when his son came in who was about 8 years old she ran over to kiss him and let him pet her all over. My vet did like the way she loves kids so much, I just hope it's just a phase and our trips out are helping her.....

·
Banned
5,218 Posts
Trips to the vet are no fun. After all, what fun ever happens there? You are doing a great job, just be patient and persistent.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Trips to the vet are no fun. After all, what fun ever happens there? You are doing a great job, just be patient and persistent.
I'll second that. What trips can be fun when each time you take them to the vet, they get things poked/prodded into them !

·
Registered
224 Posts
I'll second that. What trips can be fun when each time you take them to the vet, they get things poked/prodded into them !
I don't think I agree with that. I take mine to socialize with the staff, her doc and any other critter that happens to be there. They seem to develop a sense of these people as helpers, not administrators of pain. My Rott, Sadie loved going there, but I desensitized her early as a pup with these kinds of visits. Kelly will as well.

Vets help us keep our pets healthy and often save their lives.

·
Premium Member
27,460 Posts
Feeling a bit bummed this morning :0( Went to the vets and in the exam room she hid under me when the vet and his male tec tried to look at her. Granted it was a small space and they are both big guys but he went as far as to call her flighty. Once he stopped activly trying to pet her she walked around the room fine with him in it and when his son came in who was about 8 years old she ran over to kiss him and let him pet her all over. My vet did like the way she loves kids so much, I just hope it's just a phase and our trips out are helping her.....

Just keep making the visits, make sure you don't stress... so make them as happy and fun as you can. TAKE FOOD ALWAYS and keep your puppy hungry before the trip. Make sure you are using REAL treats (generally people food).

You clicker training? Really great method for puppy cause it's immediately a happy positive thing our pups can focus on if they are a bit worried.

Remember they go thru lots of stages and phases and as long as we are aware, and keep up the good work, it's amazing how wonderful our pups turn out! :wub:

·
Registered
495 Posts
Just keep making the visits, make sure you don't stress... so make them as happy and fun as you can. TAKE FOOD ALWAYS and keep your puppy hungry before the trip. Make sure you are using REAL treats (generally people food).

You clicker training? Really great method for puppy cause it's immediately a happy positive thing our pups can focus on if they are a bit worried.

Remember they go thru lots of stages and phases and as long as we are aware, and keep up the good work, it's amazing how wonderful our pups turn out! :wub:
I am THRILLED with clicker training! Sheesh, amazing stuff there. These dogs are so smart that a few clicks and treats with a command and they've got and have a look in their eyes that says "What now, Momma?"

Good to know the real (people food) treats are good to take to vet; we did, but nice to have it confirmed. :thumbup:

Never thought about going to vet when we didn't have an appointment; we'll have to try that.

I wish the socialization "rules" were given to all new owners, especially of puppies, instead of an owner having to search it out on their own (as so many don't).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.