German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't even know where to post this. So basically I noticed Ghost's mouth was gaped open and he kept pawing at his mouth so I called him over to me and checked his mouth and saw a STICK lodged horizontally in the roof of his mouth digging into his gums making them bleed. I don't know how he managed to lodge that in his mouth but he did.:grin2: So I drove him to my local ER vet since I wasn't able to dislodge it myself without him shutting his mouth on my hand and yelping. They managed to get it out without sedation by cutting the middle of the twig and letting it fall out, which I would've done but I can't cut it and hold his mouth open at the same time. So yeah then we went to Taco Bell since it is right next to my ER vet and I may have given him a little bit of my taco. I also got him a year's worth of heart-worm preventative whilst there so two birds with one stone I guess? So basically I had to rush to the ER at 7pm over a twig lodged in my dog's mouth. Here he is present time under my desk begging for the rest of my taco and then an hour ago in the vet's lobby.
 

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
6,256 Posts
Sometimes having a dog is like having a toddler. Who knows what shenanigans will occur! Glad it was an easy fix.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
7,703 Posts
Glad he's ok!At least he didn't swallow it!
 
  • Like
Reactions: GhostWSS

·
Registered
Joined
·
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This is exactly why I took him in ASAP. Didn't wanna risk anything worse happening such as it getting lodged in his throat or puncturing something.
Glad he's ok!At least he didn't swallow it!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,183 Posts
Ziva has had that happen several times. Fortunately I have always been able to get them unstuck at home. But gosh if it isn't scary when it's in there. Happy Ghost is ok and no major injury. Seems like Ghost knew it was taco Tuesday :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
32,208 Posts
Once upon a time, I had everyone inside in crates. It was winter time, and they sleep inside. So I heard bear bitching and moaning, and I wasn't ready to get up yet. And then, when I did get up, I went out there and she managed to get a marrow bone around her two bottom teeth and stuck on her lower muzzle.

I told her, "I'll take care of that." Then I let all the others out, one by one to their kennels and gave them food and water, threw on some clothes and ran her to the vet.

They were having a meeting in the lobby, and I was banging on the door, frantic by then. So the meeting broke up early, and the vet said, "there's a trick to these. She did something and got the bone right off of there in one piece. I was thinking anesthesia, power saw, stuff like that. Very happy that it wasn't worse.
 
  • Like
Reactions: GhostWSS

·
Registered
Joined
·
32,588 Posts
So lucky to find it before there was real damage. A friend almost lost her dog trying to repair the gum that was peeled right off the bone. I hate sticks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,324 Posts
I’m relieved for you that he is alright and it was an easy fix. Laughing at the taco. You realize you won’t ever be able to eat a taco again all by yourself if he is in the room.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Me too! Sticks can be so dangerous I never let him purposely play with them. There was this one story of a lab who got impaled by an 18 inch stick. It punctured his lung, broke a rib, and missed his heart just by a few millimeters. He survived, though! So many horror stories that include sticks like the dogs getting impaled, it getting lodged somewhere, breaking teeth, and more.
So lucky to find it before there was real damage. A friend almost lost her dog trying to repair the gum that was peeled right off the bone. I hate sticks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Crazy what shenanigans they can get into.:grin2:
Once upon a time, I had everyone inside in crates. It was winter time, and they sleep inside. So I heard bear bitching and moaning, and I wasn't ready to get up yet. And then, when I did get up, I went out there and she managed to get a marrow bone around her two bottom teeth and stuck on her lower muzzle.

I told her, "I'll take care of that." Then I let all the others out, one by one to their kennels and gave them food and water, threw on some clothes and ran her to the vet.

They were having a meeting in the lobby, and I was banging on the door, frantic by then. So the meeting broke up early, and the vet said, "there's a trick to these. She did something and got the bone right off of there in one piece. I was thinking anesthesia, power saw, stuff like that. Very happy that it wasn't worse.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
5,365 Posts
Me too! Sticks can be so dangerous I never let him purposely play with them. There was this one story of a lab who got impaled by an 18 inch stick. It punctured his lung, broke a rib, and missed his heart just by a few millimeters. He survived, though! So many horror stories that include sticks like the dogs getting impaled, it getting lodged somewhere, breaking teeth, and more.

My big boy got impaled, 6 inches of a dried pine branch stuck into his back along his spine. It never entered the body cavity, thank God. The emergency vet took excellent care and all that remains is a lump that is the scar from the entry point of the wound. So all sticks get broken now, at least where they run and play most. I don't encourage any kind of stick play, especially running with them. My dogs like to catch leaves and pine-cones and I have to make sure they are not inhaling small bits. They don't, however, know the joy of tacos! :wink2: We'll keep that a little secret between you and Ghost.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,196 Posts
I was looking for this photo. I use to let my dog drag around dead trees. Now I won’t let them pick up sticks. Max had his tonsils punctured by a stick as I threw it he jumped to get it and I heard a big yelp. He will stick pick up sticks to which I stop him.. I saw some blood which I assumed from his gums. He was in visible pain and cried when he drank water. I drove him straight to the vet first I freaked out then took him to the vets office. They had to take out pieces embedded in his tonsils and stomach by endoscopy. He had to eat soft food for a few weeks.

Last winter Luna must of been chewing a stick outside. She never chews on sticks. She came in struggling to breath and calmed her down tried to reach in her throat as something was obviously stuck. My big hand would not fit down her throat and I trusted her to I kept trying but I could not reach. I drove to the vet in a crazed panic they were able to remove it. She had a stick wedged on top on the roof of her mouth at the back of her throat. The vet said it was a freak thing. Sticks yeah what a headache and I never thought I would have another stick incident.

Max’s tonsil-




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,324 Posts
I know someone whose dog punctured a salivary gland and it swelled up so badly it had to be removed. Sticks are extremely dangerous.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,196 Posts
Yes the vet said if I did not bring him right away it could of abscessed and blocked his airway. I remember reading the story on hear and remembering saying that will not happen to me and it did. I threw sticks for many many years. It can happen to anyone. I did remember that story and it help me not hesitate to bring him in right to vet. I don’t even want to think about sticks.
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top