German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Previous Thread:

http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/aggression-good-bad-ugly/258306-need-help-neighbours-dog.html

Delgado has been making great progress with learning to ignore the neighbour’s fence fighting dog. He recalls off it immediately and will run back into the house now.

But I'm really getting fed up with our neighbours. For 8 months now we've been dealing with their dog fence fighting with Delgado, snarling and literally jumping ON the fence (6' wood privacy fence) whenever it hears our dogs. Even if we're inside and have the window open it will snarl and jump at the fence when our dogs are inside doing nothing to provoke. The section of fence it fights at used to have a small 2" gap between the ground and fence so we built it up with ground and put down sod so it's completely sealed on our side as the dog was digging under the fence and they weren’t doing anything to prevent or correct it.

Yesterday, I got off work early and went home and checked and it didn't seem like the neighbours or dog was out so I let mine out to go to the bathroom. 0.5 seconds later I realize the other dog is out as it comes banging on the fence, I recalled Delgado immediately and he was coming back to me when the dog runs all the way to the other end of the fence and manages to squeeze his head under the gate! He was able to wiggle his whole head under. Delgado spun around and ran to the gate. One of the owners is standing now on their deck yelling at their dog that is completely ignoring him

I panicked inwardly picturing Delgado gleefully grabbing that head and ripping it off. I sharply called out a "leave it" and grabbed the hose as I ran and sprayed a hard shot right between the dogs and Delgado backed off and ran into the house on my command. The owner never moved from the deck! I didn't really know what to say so I waved and said something like "dogs, what to do" and he responded something back but I couldn't understand him. I asked him to repeat and he said something mostly unintelligible about the dogs breaking the fence or something. I didn't want to ask him to repeat a third time so I just gave him a quizzical look with an "I hope not" response and went inside. My dogs have never touched the fence, it's his dog jumping and scratching it! It wasn't loud enough to discern a tone whether he was joking, upset, or serious

No matter what our dogs do, whether they bark back or completely ignore it the dog just goes and goes and goes on with this maniac barking and scratching.

I'm so frustrated with them; we've had to work around their dog for months now with them doing nothing to help. If I saw them working on correcting the dog or doing anything to keep it away from the fence on a consistent basis I would honestly be ok with it. But if all they are going to do is stand on the deck and either ignore or yell at the dog it's just adding to the frustration of the whole situation

To top it all off now the dog now realizes he can stick its head under the gate! There's no actual separate right of way for the backyard so legally we can't block off the gate as much as I wish we could as that would take away the neighbour’s access to their backyard through our yard.

So now I have to figure out some way to keep THEIR dog safe and off our property so it doesn't get hurt!

I know I could try and talk seriously with them. Part of the problem is they have people over all the time and they also have a sister living with them with her two young kids. So if they don't care enough to correct the dog, will they care enough to make a household rule regarding the dog? Probably not

They really are just very inconsiderate people in general, they sit on OUR front porch smoking and throwing their cigarette butts onto our driveway. The kids hang off this nice decorative wood fence we have on our property, etc. They would park their cars on the road across our driveway blocking it, we had to nicely correct them three times and thankfully it's seemed to stop. I'm not saying they're horrible people, but giving a general characterization of the type of people they are.

As of today I am going to secure the gate with something, whether it is another wooden board that will not impede the opening and closing or something heavy duty. I am also going to secure the gate latch, not with a lock but a piece of wire through the hole to prevent the latch from accidently popping open.

I've had success in the past using old heavy car mats for the bottom of gates. My old roommate had an escape artist small yorkie/lhaso mix but she was easily deterred by the mats hanging down and it didn't affect the gate opening and closing. Didn't look great but who cares if it works.

I will warn the neighbours about the latch obviously so they’re not caught unaware. That will also show them I am actively working on containing our dogs and hopefully kick their brains into gear that they should be doing the same for their own dog’s safety. The houses are all freehold so we don't have a HOA or governing board

Sorry for the long post, I just needed to vent out loud and talk it out.

Comments and suggestions are welcome. Though I'm only going to say that I will not touch their dog in any way shape or form. That includes feeding it, talking to it, or spraying it directly with the hose on a low setting or anything else. I don't want them having any evidence I've done anything to their dog. I will also not allow the dogs to meet, it's a recipe for disaster for sure and Delgado will be the one blamed regardless

·
Registered
125 Posts
I don't know the legality, but if a dog was that crazy on the other side of the fence, I'd give it a shot with a hose in the face. If that didn't stop, I'd move up to pepper spray. All dogs have a learning curve.

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It really is nuts, I can be outside and it doesn't react at all but as soon as it hears the dogs moving or walking it goes nuts.

Like I said, I'm really trying to be the responsible one as it seems that the other owners refuse to be. :( I don't want this dog hurt regardless and I don't want them coming and complaining that it's been injured in any way by any of my animals or myself.

Trust me, I was SO tempted to spray the dog full in the face but I don't know if the owners would be sensitive and accuse me of hurting their dog. I also didn't know if the dog might have gotten itself stuck shoving it's head under the fence. I had literally a split second to decide so I sprayed between both dogs as a warning shot. It scared both dogs as they were totally focused on the other, Delgado backed off but the other dog didn't though it did stop snarling for a second

·
Registered
938 Posts
I wonder if their dog can stick its head far enough through the fence that it's on your property if that counts as not properly containing their dog? If you can get photos of it I bet animal control would be willing to pay them a visit.

It sucks that you are going through this. We have neighbors who are stupid about losing control of their dogs too, and seem oblivious that it's an accident just waiting to happen. People have actually gotten bit by loose dogs in my neighborhood.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
I'm sorry you're having to go through this! I know how you feel, my neighbors dog is the same way, the only difference is my neighbors are nice!
I would get a picture and document the gap in the fence gate and if you can get a picture of the dog's head through the gap. I would also try and talk to your neighbor about it and express your concerns, if only to protect yourself.
Can you post a picture of the fence and gap and see if anyone can suggest a solution?

·
Registered
482 Posts
Also, I'd get a sign posted on your fence warning of what could happen if any un-wanted visitors jumped the fence.
I would NEVER do this - it is admitting your dog is aggressive and if the other dog comes into their yard and the GSD attacks it, they are legally liable because to a court this is admitting that you know.

·
Registered
5,392 Posts
Maybe an air horn as a deterrent, scare the crap out of it

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I honestly don't know the legality of it. I would hope since if something was to happen it would have to be on our property so therefore would hopefully be not my dog's fault.

Now the dog has found the gate I'm going to secure it like I said so it doesn't accidently get jangled open by either dog. Under the gate is the only section of the mutual fence that is more than 1/4" from the ground. Even then it's less than a 2" gap there and I wouldn't have dreamed the dog would actually be able to shove his head under there.

I will have to talk to the neighbours about the gate so they don't think I'm just locking it as they probably won't be able to open the gate from their yard after the wire is securing the latch and will have to go around through our yard...

I won't lay blame just a casual "just so you know, after yesterday I'm concerned about the gate so I've secured it and it's not locked so you will always have access to your yard but I didn't want it popping open accidently" conversation. If they want to continue it after that I’m happy to discuss options.

I'm at work now but will take photos of the gate when I get home before and after.

I think the air horn idea might get me in trouble, even if I said I was using it to correct my own dog. Those suckers are loud!

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just wanted to say thank you to everyone who replied, talking it out and bouncing ideas is how I work out solutions to problems. Now I have a plan to action I feel much better

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
Client of my hubby had similar problems, he installed cement curbs under the fence, that protruded just above ground level. Dogs can't dig through or under it and earth/dirt won't wash away, so no soft dirt or gap for the dog to stick his head through. This maybe and option for the gate, sticking head under situation?

Our little Aussie was starting to do some fence fighting with the neighbor's terrier mix. Same situation as yours, Autumn has a good recall but the little terrier will try to egg it on which makes it harder. Neighbors might holler from their porch but that's it (and I'm 'mean' for training my dogs in their view...) We installed a 'fire wall' of sorts, a second fence that creates a 'neutral' zone between them. Since your dogs are well trained you wouldn't need anything super sturdy, these are not permanent and are easy to install.

Search Results for*metal fence panels*at The Home Depot

As for the neighbor's dog's behavior I don't know what you can do. My neighbors think it's just dogs having 'fun' and I don't want to do anything to their dog either. Since we've installed the barrier and just kept working on our Autumn's behavior the game isn't as 'fun' for the next door dog and they've pretty much stopped.

Hope some of these tips will work for you too!

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
...oh and my trainer had a similar problem with his neighbor's dogs too, he too installed a second fence as the neighbor's dogs were digging holes and starting to poke their heads under.

They still bark at each other from time to time but having the physical gap between fences did settle the situation down. He installed a large permanent privacy fence.

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
I was going to mention what Gwen did. We had some issues with dogs trying to go under the gate and installed/poured a threshhold. Worked really well.

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Our backyard is a decent size but not large enough for a second fence. unfortunately.

I am hoping (maybe futilely) as my dogs react less and less that the other dog will realize that it isn't fun anymore. Also, if their dog is the only one barking I'm hoping that the neighbours will realize that there's no more excuses for their dog's behaviour. We're certainly entitled to be in our own backyard!

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Maybe an air horn as a deterrent, scare the crap out of it

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

This is how out trainer seperated dogs in class that would never shur up or would bark at each other relentlessly. But it wasn't a horn it was just a bottle of compressed air that made a very loud hiss. They sell them at most pet stores. It may break the barking for a while or may not work at all. Some dogs just never get it, and it also needs to be used with some form of training. It sounds like your neighbor isn't too much into any training. But the air cans aren't expensive and may be worth a try. Id try it without your dog being outside as he isn't the one thats doing anything wrong.

·
Registered
7,267 Posts
We've used the air horn and it does work to some degree, but only temporarily. They also respond to pet corrector in a can. Its just compressed air that makes a swooshing sound. What about adding an electric wire to the bottom of the fence and work with Delgado to avoid it?

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
We've used the air horn and it does work to some degree, but only temporarily. They also respond to pet corrector in a can. Its just compressed air that makes a swooshing sound. What about adding an electric wire to the bottom of the fence and work with Delgado to avoid it?
My parents have one acre fenced in for the dog run, there's a hot wire running about 1' from the ground around the entire thing. Delgado has a healthy respect for electric fences after being zapped by it when he was a puppy.

Delgado doesn't fence fight back, he barks but that's it there's no touching the fence. I don't think a hot wire will help in his case as he'll just move 2' back and continue to bark.

Delgado is actually getting to the point he will bark once or twice but then almost automatically come back up on the deck and into the house. I think it's the alert training helping in this situation

For alerts, I trained him to run to the door if someone knocks and bark once, then come back to me and sit quietly in front of me until I give the "what is it" command and he'll lead me to the source. Or if he hears Jazzy whine at the door to be let out, he'll come and sit in front of me and whine once then wait for me to give the command and will leave me to the door where Jazzy is waiting. He does the same if he wants to go outside as well

That training seems to be slowly kicking in for this particular scenario, up until yesterday he realized that the dog couldn't come through the fence and I was calling him off so he didn't have to deal with the problem. He would bark at the dog to let me know the dog was there and job done he would come inside no problem.

Now that he knows the dog can be reached under the gate I'm worried the other dog will continue to do that and get hurt or Delgado will even lure the dog there by barking over at the gate so he can get it.

When the dog is barking and scratching at the fence while my dogs are inside I've taught Delgado not to respond and to go lie down quietly on his bed. He gets a verbal correction if he responds and the command to go to his place, if he does it automatically he gets mega praise and treats even while the other dog is barking

·
Registered
7,267 Posts
What about motion sensor activated citranella sprayers for cats. Put them at the gates or wherever he tries to get under the fence.

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
The separation between the two fences is about 2 1/2 feet or so and the fencing we chose is not permanent, easily moved.

We added it to the one side of the property where our property lines meet. In our case it didn't take up much space.

Yes you certainly do have the right to use and enjoy your backyard and I hope you find a resolution that works for you. I understand how frustrating it can be.

Our backyard is a decent size but not large enough for a second fence. unfortunately.

I am hoping (maybe futilely) as my dogs react less and less that the other dog will realize that it isn't fun anymore. Also, if their dog is the only one barking I'm hoping that the neighbours will realize that there's no more excuses for their dog's behaviour. We're certainly entitled to be in our own backyard!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Talk to the neighbors, and whatever you do, be very positive and cooperative - not confrontational or accusatory.

The trouble with neighbors is that they live right next to you, so whatever access you have with them is the same they have with you. And if they're unhappy and unstable people - or you encourage that side of them to emerge - things can get extremely unpleasant around the hacienda. Also try to avoid letting your displeasure over their other habits intrude into the discussion too (very easy to do) which will work to sabotage your effort.

Just approach them with a smile, shaking your head, and say "Geez! These dogs! What a pain they can be, eh? They really seem to be getting up each other's nose or something! Would be nice if we could get them to settle down or something. WHAT DO YOU THINK??"

See? Position yourself and the other owners as parties-in-common: its "us" versus "them" with them being the dogs.

Also note that we're letting the other owners start the corrective part of the discussion and initiate the flow of ideas. They will feel less threatened and more like they are in control and part of the solution, even though you are actually leading them about by the nose. As you bounce ideas for "settling the dogs," bring up the fence gap and "Geeze; if your dog sticks his face through there when we're not around to stop things, they might actually get into a face-to-face fight and really hurt each other. Maybe we could ..." and then you launch some of your suggestions. Get that conversation going.

Of course, do all this in the realization that the other party might not care or be inclined to do anything. Enter with low expectations, so if they shoot you negative signs, you won't be as inclined to show disappointment - which they might see and correctly interpret, again sabotaging your effort.

If they ultimately leave the problem for you to fix, I'd suggest resorting to passive measures. Anything "active" that you might direct at the other dog (however satisfying inside) might be seen by your neighbors as an attack on them. Note how people can get riled up when in their cars and they are "disrespected" by another. The car becomes an extension of the driver. In your case, their dog can become an extension of their personal space. You attack that space (however justified) and you're attacking them. Then comes the poisoned meat over the fence, raccoon urine and dead fish in your gutters and windowsills, and the ever favorite slashed tires and gas fire burning across the yard. Or direct physical assault.

Remember that being "in the right" doesn't always make up for the price you might have to pay.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts