German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted a few weeks ago about our rescue GSD that we adopted from a local shelter. We are still working on settling in and dealing with some less then awesome behaviors. In particular she has a really bad problem with jumping on people, and generally being reactive when someone new enters the room. Normally dealing with this doesn't phase me- I've been keeping her tethered when she is out in the house so I can correct her when nessecary and keep people safe. But last weekend we took two days and went to WV for vacation. The highlight of our trip was a whitewater rafting excursion that I was super excited about. Everything was good until half way through the trip I dislocated my knee in the middle of the river. I'm now on crutches, and supposed to keep movement of the leg to a minimum to avoid further damage and allow the leg to heal. Oh and just to make things fun it hurts constantly.
So my niece is staying with me to help out (shes 16) with laundry and cooking and the dogs, but theres still a good bit I have to do. And it sucks! Managing two large dogs usually wouldn't be an issue, but I'm hating doing this with my leg injury. I know my leg will heal eventually, and I know that we'll make progress with the dogs slowly but surely. Right now though I want that magic wand that makes everything better right Now! Anyone else have crazy stories about settling a new dog into the household?

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
Hi, So sorry to hear about your injury and pain. And from personal experience I know how frustrating using crutches can be. Its great your niece is there to help out.

I read your post from when you adopted. Sounds like she's had a very hard life and I think its great you're giving her the second chance she deserves.

I don't think your girl's behavior is "crazy" at all. I'm sure you will work through the jumping and reactive behavior. And there are plenty of people here who can give you advice if you need it. But trying to work on it being on crutches must be maddening.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
I hope your leg heals quickly! It is terrible when there are things you want and need to do and have to do it in pain.

When I adopted my girl, I found myself shaking my head daily. She was well behaved when I met her, but once home with me, I discovered she was not crate trained as I was told, she was not house trained, she had severe separation anxiety and she is not good with strangers. I gave thought to returning her, but could not bring myself to do it and worked through her issues.

She is still not good with strangers, but she is the most loyal silly girl int he world and gets along great with my boy. I feel safer having her since I currently live alone. She seems to accept elderly people easiest, which is good since I am moving in two weeks to be closer to my parents.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Can you try a heating pad or cold compress to take away some of the pain? Even sports cream (not icy hot, because afterwards it will burn!) for say pulled muscles should help some what with pain?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the support guys! I'm using ice packs, aspercreme, and heating pads throughout the day. The biggest bummer right now is no walks. Jessie isn't horrible on the leash, but she's nowhere near where I'd trust my niece to manage her, and theres no way I can do more then hobble about 15feet at a time. We're playing fetch in the yard, and things like that, but I miss being able to start the day with a 3mile walk to drain off some energy. On the plus side of things, she is completely potty trained (thank God!), gets along with my mother (who is not usually a dog lover) is not food or treat aggresive, and is being fairly patient with me all things considered.

·
Premium Member
4,733 Posts
hope your knee heals quickly (poof) now its healed (lol) . well its good your niece is there to help and thats great, hang in there and try not to go crazy, do the best you can :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts