German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went for my first ASCA rally novice with Duke. He's done 2 legs already. We practiced and practiced, and he was doing really well. He did some practice at the rally outside the ring and was doing well, ignoring other dogs and such.

BUT we got in the ring and he totally left me there. The trials were in an arena. There were horses right outside the ring on the other side of a wall with doorways thru it. His brain just totally left me.

I had a major panic attack and had to leave the ring rather than vomit or pass out. He wasn't having anything to do with it anyway. I've also only had him about 2 months, so the horses and cows were more interesting I guess.

So the thing is, I am feeling guilty for leaving the ring, I feel I let my trainer down.. I feel like I let Duke down.

We're still in training for rally novice at the training facility. We have one more class left. I want to take a break over the summer and I feel guilty for that too.

How in the world will I ever get myself over that and do it again? lol.. I dunno.

Anyways, my hat is off to those of you who do this on a regular basis. It's MUCH harder than it looks. I don't know if I'm going to try it again or not.

So there is my dirty little secret. I really am ashamed...

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
I don't have any experience in that but just want to let you know that I feel bad for you.

Just think about that movie The Water Boy:

You Can Do it!!!!

And only having him for 2 months...that's actually quite exceptional.
Keep on keeping on!

·
Registered
31,097 Posts
You didn't let anyone down. Duke would have picked up on your anxiety and it could have soured him in the ring. On Jax's potential third leg, some woman decided that playing frisbee not to far from the ring was the thing to do at just that moment. I was so busy trying to get Jax back on track that I blew right by a sign and blew her third leg and title. We've all had those moments were we feel we've let our dogs down.

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
Don't feel embarrassed... Everyone else is probably just glad it wasn't them :)
...and Duke has no idea what happened ;)
I suffer from panic attacks too and it really helps my confidence when I see others screw up... it takes the edge off when I do it right after LOL

·
Registered
31,874 Posts
Don't feel bad, you only had the dog for two months, and who would think there would be horses at a dog show. I mean, we do not train around horses.

You have two legs already, you can get the third one. Just put this behind you.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
You have to move on...it happened, it's done, and you can't change it. Dogs pick up on our emotions so learning to keep them in check is important for this third leg you are going to conquer. If you don't face it now it will just haunt you forever- Duke can do it and so can you:)

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
stop the wimpy- wimpy. you didn't let anybody down
certainly not the dog. train, train, train and get into the ring
as soon as possible. good luck.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Don't give up! You've had him only 2 months and already have 2 ASCA RN legs? That's Great!

We have to remember, we train and train and train... eventually we go in the ring to see how the training is going to show itself that day :crazy:

I've had dogs and myself so nervous that something wonky happens. It happens to all of us that show our dogs! The thing I always remind myself of is that no one judges mistakes others make or that I make because everyone has seen it at some point if they show long enough, to themselves or someone else lol

At a recent show, I recall a flat coat doing off lead heeling in Novice. They do an about turn and the dog jumps the ring gate and races around the show site, jumpig back in the ring and just having a great time lol. Second day, same dog, on down stays, gets bored, jumps OVER 3 other dogs and races to the GSD that has blown the down by moving into a sit. Scares the GSD and both of them run out of the ring (the stewards should have blocked the exit a little better imo lol) and run around the show site again!

So, remember, no matter how bad it was that day, our dogs are always in training. Some days will go great! Other days, we'll find out what we need more training on lol. AND No matter what we or our dogs do, someone else has done it or seen it before or even something worse :eek::blush:

Brush it off, train some more in different places with more distractions and remember, We're having fun with our dogs :D (I had to tell myself that too recently at the show while I was trying to breathe while in the ring! I know I'll be telling myself again when I show Moxie weekend after next! LOL!! :wild: :rolleyes: :laugh:)

·
Registered
31,097 Posts
omg..the zoomies! We entered a DOCNA agility trial. First time out so only wanted Jax to STAY with me! Not happening! She hit the top of the A-frame and was gone. People were screaming "Shut the gate!" She raced, at top speed, around the inside fence perimeter while I yelled for her. I finally realized she wasn't going to come to me so I knelt down and waited from her. AS she came towards me, I thought she would stop so I held out my arms. She knocked me flat on my back right next to the judge. All I could say, as I looked up at him, was "I think we're done here".

Next run, she stayed with me but we didn't Q. First run next day, off to ensure the fence perimeter was safe again. Second run that day...She WON! And we earned a leg.

You never know what these dogs will do. Just take it in stride. If you are putting to much pressure on yourself then you aren't having fun and if you aren't having fun then what is the point!?

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you for the stories! My trainer told me some of her own in competitions, such as her dog going over the ring gate to get to another dog!

I know it was discouraging at the time and VERY embarrassing for me because of the panic attack. Duke got 2 of the three legs but it was with his previous owner. She is very used to competing in different things. She does horses, plays ice hockey and is in the military.. I don't have her confidence. BUT having said that. I'm going to continue to train him, bond with him and my other dogs, and MAYBE in a year or two I'll feel like doing it again. I just wanted to know if any of you ever felt that way or if I was a fluke.

He did feed off me tho. He acted like he was in trouble when we got home. I've got to learn to keep myself in check and build my confidence up. Right now even thiniking about going back in the ring scares the beejeebers out of me and makes my heart race!

Thank you guys for the encouragement!

·
Registered
987 Posts
I get so nervous right before I go into the ring, and My friends all know it so right before I go into the ring they always say things to me like "Breath you turning blue" or "nobody's dieing, this is fun remember" anything to make me remember that I'm doing this for fun and to relax.
Oh and you know that little sign at the end of a rally course that says "finish" well Indy did at one show pooped right in front of it, I've never lived that one down, but it's become one of those fun stories that you tell as you show more and more that everyone laughs at and loves.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Every day is a new adventure -- try to find the humor in your last ring experience (trust me, in a few weeks you WILL be laughing over it). Everyone who goes in the trail rings has stories to tell: dogs that go over the gate, dogs that seem to have forgotten your language or gone deaf halfway through a course ,etc. One of my GSD's was on a down-stay near the gate when a man she knew fairly well from classes we'd taken together walked by. He had his GSD walking with him, and his dog's dumbell under his arm. My dog watched him walk by, then launched up from the down-stay, grabbed the dumbell from under the man's arm, and took it back to her spot on the mat. Guess she figured she wasn't going to let a perfectly good dumbell get away...no harm done, of course we did not qualify that day, but that was 3 titles ago. The dogs get over it in seconds; don't let this get you off track.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Don't worry about it..... Train and get back into the ring.
With my girl Chili, I was very pleased with a 97 on her first Nov Rally leg, on our second try she grabbed a hold of the leash and when I didn't play with her she got my pant leg, went thru almost 1/2 of the course with it in her mouth, she'd let go when we got to a station to do something but then grabbed my pant leg again.
Was I upset, not really, she's young and she had good time.
It's not the end of the world. We'll train somemore and go back into the ring.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Friend of mine had an OTCh Border Collie who was magnificent - unless he saw a hot air balloon. Freaked him out so much that she would have to withdraw.

Many years ago, I was at a national obedience competition with my Flat Coat. At the hotel, she decided to jump into the fountain and wouldn't come out. For the rest of the three days, people would say, "Oh - was that the Flattie in the fountain?":blush:

CDX - Same dog would make perfect scores - even in heeling. But the minute I went behind the blind for the long down, she would start to clown around. If the crowd laughed, she'd escalate - including flipping on her back & kicking her legs in the air. When I was behind the blind & heard people laughing, I knew I'd flunked. I'd walk back in, the steward would have my dog. I used to pray for mid afternoon show times to melt her down a little.

So, don't worry. Have fun.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
I get so nervous right before I go into the ring, and My friends all know it so right before I go into the ring they always say things to me like "Breath you turning blue" or "nobody's dieing, this is fun remember" anything to make me remember that I'm doing this for fun and to relax.
Oh and you know that little sign at the end of a rally course that says "finish" well Indy did at one show pooped right in front of it, I've never lived that one down, but it's become one of those fun stories that you tell as you show more and more that everyone laughs at and loves.
:spittingcoffee:

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
I was a steward at an obedience trial and a guy in the ring with his Dalmation was doing really well and all of a sudden the dog runs out of the ring and jumps on a lady in the audience then went back in the ring. The guy was flabbergasted. A friend of mine had her giant Schnauzer in the ring and blew it right off the bat- she started to walk and the dog just sat there! There goes Mary walking around the ring thinking her dog was heeling and the dog's just sitting there looking around- we finally yelled to her that she was heeling all by herself- talk about embarrassing!

Where in TX are you? If you're near Tyler you could practice at our obedience club. The facility is open to non-members on Sunday to come and practice agility, rally, obedience, etc. It's a great way to get some practice in a different location and get some feed back from the others.

·
Banned
5,921 Posts
Thank you for the stories! My trainer told me some of her own in competitions, such as her dog going over the ring gate to get to another dog!

I know it was discouraging at the time and VERY embarrassing for me because of the panic attack. Duke got 2 of the three legs but it was with his previous owner. She is very used to competing in different things. She does horses, plays ice hockey and is in the military.. I don't have her confidence. BUT having said that. I'm going to continue to train him, bond with him and my other dogs, and MAYBE in a year or two I'll feel like doing it again. I just wanted to know if any of you ever felt that way or if I was a fluke.

He did feed off me tho. He acted like he was in trouble when we got home. I've got to learn to keep myself in check and build my confidence up. Right now even thiniking about going back in the ring scares the beejeebers out of me and makes my heart race!Thank you guys for the encouragement!
Yea! What they said! Remember showing a dog in anything is supposed to be FUN! All of us have had some embarrasing moments in the ring. And you will look back at them and laugh!

My particular moment came in a Novice A class while heeling off leash. Unfortunately there were 3 little girls right along the ring rope who happened to all have ice cream cones. Well, as it happened, the judge sent her heeling pattern right along the little girls. My extremely well trained GSD took a little detour as we came by the little girls sitting on the ground. She went right up to all three as we walked by and she took a quick lick of each cone and then she quickly caught up to me! What the heck could I do, but look at her with ice cream on her muzzle, and laugh like heck. BTW, so did the judge ans esp. the three little girls!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts