German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm posting this from the paws website.

Hopefully we can meet up again. It is on a Weds though.

IT'S BACK! PARENTS bring the PAWS out for a Fun Evening at the Newport Dog Beach. It's a Locals Favorite and the PAWS Really Love it
Weds July 31, 2013 at 6 pm

L
It's a Great Way to break up the week and get the PAWS out for some fun in the Evening at this Off-Leash Dog Beach. There will be lots of other PAWS there to hang with, and if your PAW is not the Big Wave Rider, they can still swim and run in the calmer waters of the Santa Ana River.

Don't Forget to bring all your PAWS' favorite Floatable Water Toys and Plenty of them, as they will love chasing them in the Water and along the Sand.

Fresh Water will be provided and Dog Poop Bags are also available Thanks to the Club's Wonderful Sponsor DOGPOOPBAGS.COM.

There is FREE Parking on Seashore Drive and there is a Large Metered Parking Lot also on Sea Shore Drive if you can't find FREE Parking. Be sure to check the hours on the meter in the Pay Lot as I believe you can park for FREE in it after 6:00 P.M.

·
Premium Member
2,369 Posts
That's a maybe for me... It's not the distance it's just the time of day, we have to drive up the 5 and it'll be during rush hour, eep. Are the Newport and Huntington dog beach different or is it the same beach?

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great question. I just posted that question on the site. I assumed it was Huntington Beach since Newport Is not off leash. Will post again when I get a answer.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Answer: This is neither Huntington Dog Beach (off leash) or Newport Beach (on leash). Its a private dog beach in between the two beaches.

Please remember Newport Beach does not have an Off-Leash Dog Beach, which is why only the Sand Between the River Jetty's is a Dog Beach since it's Not Part of Newport Beach and it's County Owned Land. Please Be Respectful of the Beach and Clean Up after your PAW.
Park anywhere along Sea Shore Drive for Free. If there is no parking on the street then you can park in the Pay Lot on Sea Shore Drive and walk back to the Circle and then proceed down the sidewalk beside the Jetty, until you are on the sand. Follow the River Jetty until you reach the waves. Once you reach the Waves, look to your right. It's the Sand Between the Two River Jetty's that is the Dog Beach.
To find Us look for the all the PAWS on the Beach.

Directions From the South: Coming from the South, Head North on P.C.H. to Orange Street (it's a Signal Light just before you go over the Santa Ana River Bridge) and turn Left. After Turning Left make an Immediate Right onto Sea Shore Drive and follow it all the way down approximately a 1/4 Mile until it dead ends into a circle. There you will find the Santa Ana River Jetty and the Dog Beach is the Sand where the Ocean and the River Meet. All the Sand between the two river jetty's is known as the Newport Dog Beach by Locals.
Directions from the North: Take P.C.H. South going over the Santa Ana River Bridge, to the First Signal Light which is Orange Street and turn Right. Then Make your Immediate Right onto Seashore Drive and follow the directions above.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Premium Member
2,369 Posts
Since this is a private beach are non locals allowed? We live in San Diego county but not sure what private entails.

Also not this weekend but next there is going to be a lure coursing event which I'm going to. Though its in Ocean Beach down near San Diego harbor.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
OT but my husband and I are in the military and live in San Diego too. I've joined some Yahoo groups. Can't wait to get back into the dog scene :)

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Since this is a private beach are non locals allowed? We live in San Diego county but not sure what private entails.

Also not this weekend but next there is going to be a lure coursing event which I'm going to. Though its in Ocean Beach down near San Diego harbor.
The city doesnt allow dogs off leash at their beaches. but this strip of land is owned by the county and used as a dog beach. Yay. This is part of a meetup and about 40 other dog parents will be there. The invite is open to dog owners.

·
Premium Member
2,369 Posts
Ah ok cool! We will try to make it... Just depends on my husbands work, though he should be off in plenty of time... It's a bit over an hours drive for us without traffic, we might leave early to try and avoid rush hour. Just hope there aren't a ton of little dogs there, mine is obsessed with them, lol.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Ah ok cool! We will try to make it... Just depends on my husbands work, though he should be off in plenty of time... It's a bit over an hours drive for us without traffic, we might leave early to try and avoid rush hour. Just hope there aren't a ton of little dogs there, mine is obsessed with them, lol.

Lol. I know what you mean. Dexter loves the little dogs and to the horror of some of the new small dog owners at the dog park he likes to put their heads in his mouth. ( never closes it) but being a small dog owner myself I understand their concern so we have been working on a no mouth command and he's almost a 100% if I get him before he tries. Watch him make me look like a fool Weds. Lol I will leave from work early too. Even though we're just 30 mins away, in LA traffic that's 2 hours

·
Premium Member
2,369 Posts
Haha Ollie is good with small dogs(I have two myself), they just don't like him usually... He's an obnoxious greeter which is something we're working on. How does your pup do with larger dogs? Ollie is close to or already at 70lbs, any dog that will play with him is his BFF for life or until he gets bored. :D

If you ever make it down to San Diego with your pup you should really check out fiesta island. It has a sectioned off dog park that is over 50 acres which also has a few beach areas. It's right next to Mission bay and Sea World if you've ever been there.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have 2 small ones also :) . Dex likes to chase the big dogs but when the tables turn he's a big baby and runs to me . Just turned 6 months and was 69 lbs but were down to 65lbs per vet because of pano. Hes also learning how to greet. lol would love to check out fiesta park when im down that way. I hope you can make it. I hope Cheyanna can make it to.

·
Premium Member
2,369 Posts
Wow big boy!! Ollie is 11 months. :shocked:

Was it you who talked about a dog friendly restaurant near Huntington Beach?

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes that was me. do you want the info on the restaurants?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts