German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Cody is 13 months. With winter approaching, I am not looking forward to the hour plus walks. Not to mention I don't know if the dogs will like being on a hour long walk when it's 10 degrees out.

So...if there is snow on the sidewalk, is it safe to say it would be much less impact on the joints to jog vs. a unsnow covered sidewalk.

I figure if I can jog a bit with him. I can take a 3 mile walk from 50 minutes down to 20-30 if I jog at least some of it.

Since he's 13 months now, technical in about 5 months I can go full go in terms of jogging. I was looking for your thoughts on "snow jogging" on the sidewalk, and if you guys feel the snow will make it much better on his joints.

Thank you

·
Registered
262 Posts
I'm not an expert..but logic suggests that just like sand, snow too should be low impact. So any damage that a hard ground/concrete/asphalt surface can do will be greatly minimized on snow and sand.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thank you for the reply ahazra...im currently spending about 3 hours on walks/fetch each day. in the dead of winter I'd love to minimize the time a bit by throwing some jogging in, but of course don't want to damage the fragile 1 year old lol

·
Registered
614 Posts
I'm not an expert..but logic suggests that just like sand, snow too should be low impact. So any damage that a hard ground/concrete/asphalt surface can do will be greatly minimized on snow and sand.
Said like someone who rarely experiences snow.

Snow packs, quickly and hard and is slippery to boot. jogging on a slippery surface puts an even greater strain on the joints than on a hard one. Wait to jog him until you can begin to properly condition him to it next spring.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks wild tim. guess i better buy some artic gear or i'll have one rowdy puppy all winter.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
When the snow gets a bit icey here....bloody paws result.
wow! really?

I took our 4 y/o jogging with me all last winter. about 40 minutes a pop, and she never had bloody paws, or even showed any sign of pain.

is it from the salt? i know you're supposed to dip their paws in hot water after being out in the winter to get that salt off of them

1 - 7 of 7 Posts