German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
our Kita is about 8 months now and has developed a little snapping thing. she does it to new people. she is always suspicious of strangers and has never actually bit anyone. what happens is someone with let her smell them and then they will take their hand back and when they do she snaps. she doesnt lounge at them to bit them. she did them same thing to my little cousin that is 2 years old. he was walking by her and she turned around and snapped at his back. i correct her everytime she does it. and she hasnt done it as much. but i am afraid that she will actually bite someone.
why is she doing this??
what can i do??

·
Registered
256 Posts
My dog does this.He is just over a year.He did it alot more younger though.It depends on the person.I would let the dog smell the person, not have the person offer a hand to the dog.I have noticed though that all the people my dog has done this to have been people scared of dogs or not dog people.Maybe him being a GS makes people on edge and the dog picks up on this.You have to tell people to let the dog come up to them and when she does not to pet her or look at her.My dog when he is good with ya will put his head on yout lap or kiss ya.Thats my que everything is good.If you are walking her and you get nervous and get a stiff arm,pull the leash tight,she will get nervous also.I also tell my dog to go say hi and he seems to like this.Its a command and if he looks uneasy I pull back and correct.So he now knows that when I say "say HI'what I expect.I would get her out as much as possible around people,don't let anyone pet her and if you get close to someone and she seems ok with it,praise her.If she gets nervous,give her a jerk of the leash sideways and walk away.You want her to know this is wrong.Don't say its ok or baby talk here it just makes it worse,the dog thinks she is doing right then.Just don't keep her from people you want her to get over this so make as much contact in different settings as possible.good luck

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
maybe the fact that she can sense the fear, or that they dont like her is makeing her do this. im no expert, just analyzeing..she knows that they are scared and she is proveing her dominence or maybe its a warning?? i've had dogs do this to me b4 and i can tell u that it was from dogs i was a little intimidated by at first. after i got to know them and i wasnt so intimidated they were fine and friendly

1 - 3 of 3 Posts