German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mr. B and I were walking in our nearby park when we stopped to see Ms. C, a friendly GSD whose back fence borders on the park. Their sniffing was interrupted by Mr. A, who lives next door to Ms. C and has the run of both his front and back yards. Mr. A started a commotion that got both Mr. B and Ms. C going pretty good.

Mr. A's mom came over spewing venom, telling me that I caused such a commotion twice a day every day (which isn't true, Ms. C is seldom out), and she pointed to the "Beware of Dog" sign she has on her fence, which to her means that no one in the park could come near the fence. I told Mr. A's mom several times that the other dogs were fine until Mr. A weighed in. I couldn't, though, come up with anything else to say that might not have a negative impact on Mr. A.

My question, then: are there any snappy comebacks (more funny than strictly mean) that are appropriate to situations like this? I don't expect to change anyone's mind, but wouldn't mind learning a few lines that will leave someone like Mr. A's mom gasping for breath.

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
Mr. B and I were walking in our nearby park when we stopped to see Ms. C, a friendly GSD whose back fence borders on the park. Their sniffing was interrupted by Mr. A, who lives next door to Ms. C and has the run of both his front and back yards. Mr. A started a commotion that got both Mr. B and Ms. C going pretty good.

Mr. A's mom came over spewing venom, telling me that I caused such a commotion twice a day every day (which isn't true, Ms. C is seldom out), and she pointed to the "Beware of Dog" sign she has on her fence, which to her means that no one in the park could come near the fence. I told Mr. A's mom several times that the other dogs were fine until Mr. A weighed in. I couldn't, though, come up with anything else to say that might not have a negative impact on Mr. A.

My question, then: are there any snappy comebacks (more funny than strictly mean) that are appropriate to situations like this? I don't expect to change anyone's mind, but wouldn't mind learning a few lines that will leave someone like Mr. A's mom gasping for breath.
What were you doing near the fences? Walking up close to someones fence is IMO rude.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
why are you walking up to the fence? There is a gsd who lives near our local park too. When we walk on the path we can see him in his yard. It's very close to the park, but I would never walk up to their house/fence.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What were you doing near the fences? Walking up close to someones fence is IMO rude.
You really think it's rude to approach a friendly dog for a sniff, even if the non-friendly dog next door can't be seen? I'm not saying that's wrong, but it sounds a little off. There's another spot along one of our routes (non-park) that has a similar situation -- three dogs that are barking machines right next door to one that's a sweetheart. Avoid them, too?

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
Yes, just walk past them. They may back up to a park but their property is still private property.

I wouldn't like it if people walked up to my fence like that.

They probably have this happen fairly often if they back up to a park and that's why they have the sign.

Give them their space and enjoy your dogs and your walk.

I used to have this problem when I boarded a horse near a park and people thought they could just walk up to the fence or even into the barn, feed and pet the horses. I'd find watermelon rinds in the stalls God knows what else people were trying to feed the horses.

No, the barn and paddocks were private and the horses were private property too.

Abutting a public space doesn't mean inherent rights are granted to the public. :confused:

You really think it's rude to approach a friendly dog for a sniff, even if the non-friendly dog next door can't be seen? I'm not saying that's wrong, but it sounds a little off. There's another spot along one of our routes (non-park) that has a similar situation -- three dogs that are barking machines right next door to one that's a sweetheart. Avoid them, too?

·
Premium Member
3,779 Posts
I'd have just ran at the fence and start barking like I was fence fighting

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
I think its rude to approach anyone's fence with your dog. Do you like it when people walk up to your fence? It's private property and they have the right not to be disturbed just because you are walking by.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I so love people.

I live on a green belt. Kids and families play back there and take their dogs to play there too. We have several nice green belt areas. My property ends at my fence. The other side of the fence is common ground and maintained by the HOA.

Balls occasionally make their way in to my back yard. It would be rude for the person to just jump my fence to retrieve their ball. Everybody just knocks on the door and we go around back to find it. No big thing.

If a person's dog is right up on my fence Sparkles will bark and have a good time cussing at them. Does it warrant a 'Dear Abbey' letter. No.

When I walk my dogs the two boxers are free to roam around me (I don't hold their leashes) and yes they go up to greet other dogs. Yes in some cases there is much barking exchanged. I keep on moving and my dogs follow along without either falling too far behind or getting too far ahead. Generally speaking, dogs that bark more get a nice squirt of Hawk juice on their fence or whatever bushes happen to be growing there. A calling card as it were.

As for snappy come backs... I prefer awkward silences. Just look, tilt the head and raise an eyebrow and wait for them to continue. I'm sure whatever they have to say will be enlightening.

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
OP is talking about a public park so it's not just neighbors, I imagine the foot traffic is higher in public parks and it's strangers.

btw- I have green space behind me, HOA and it's NOT designated as a foot path area. Still the kids like to cut through the woods to each other's houses. We put up a second fence along the back to create a buffer. I haven't complained and as long as they don't climb over the barrier fence I wont.

When they do I will say something because if one of the little muchkins gets hurt on my property it could be a problem for ME.

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
Just a couple of thoughts on this topic in general.

1) People have the right to peaceful enjoyment of their property. That is why we have private property rights in our country, to protect that. My dogs will bark at strangers who approach too close to my property. They're German Shepherds after all, they are supposed to alert to strangers. They aren't at fault. Yet if strangers consistently and unnecessarily approach my fence, touch my fence or attempt to touch my dogs they are not respecting my rights.

2) A simple old timey rule; do unto others as you would have them do unto you. I don't think anyone here would like strangers consistently coming up to their fence, their dogs and trying to pet them or engage with the dogs even if it is meant in a friendly manner. I simply don't bother other people's dogs because I am respecting their space and their privacy.

This is akin to people petting your dog unexpectedly, uninvited while you are walking them.

I don't understand this sense of entitlement *some* people have when it comes to animals in this country. People petting and feeding my horse dangerous 'treats', people who think they are somehow entitled to walk up close enough to a fence to pet someone else's dog? What if the dog is not feeling well and bites? Then the property owner is in trouble.

Not meaning to be harsh to the OP but I just don't get this attitude.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
hold you hand up and say, "talk to the paw, cause the muzzle isn't listening"

1 - 20 of 96 Posts