German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whenever I do training sessions with Eva she gets overexcited and does what we call "snapping." She bites the air at me like she is trying to make me do something, and she barks a lot. She only seems to do this inside, and it seems like she gets too overexcited, so she is barking and trying everything she can (she rolls over, speaks, etc) to get the treat. So I think the snapping is from stress in this scenario (she also does it when she gets impatient to go outside, etc). How can I stop this? She seems confused, and impatient, so she speaks, rolls over, and does everything she knows. She knows commands well, but I think when she gets overexcited, every thought in thinking is overruled by that treat. She loves toys as a reward, but that seems to overexcite her more or does the same thing. So... how could I help this?

·
Registered
270 Posts
Maybe try to seem less excited if possible. Our girl does the snapping as well when we get the ball thrower out. She will continue to do that until we throw it and take off running like crazy. That is about the only time she does it though.

·
Super Moderator
6,470 Posts
mine is also very food motivated and at times results in the same behaviors you describe.

depending on the situation i either wait him out (complete silence until he settles), end the session, switch up the reward and/or delivery, change environments or time of day, switch to a less predictable sequence, and make it a point to acknowledge but not reward offered (trained) behaviors with food.

ending the session is the best strategy for my guy. at one point simply opening the drawer where i keep the clicker would trigger him into a frenzy.

i’ll admit tho, i don’t hate it. his enthusiasm is great, i just value a clear headed dog more...

he’s almost 7, lol, for reference 😜

·
Registered
7,187 Posts
Look at your end of the scenario too., if she is running through all the commands she knows (throwing behaviours), she may be confused as well excited. Inconsistency in commands, subtle differences in body language we give off in our handling can cause them to run the gamut of what they know to get the reward.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I’m gonna see if I can wait it out and let her calm down before training again. I keep the same posture and tone when training, so I don’t really think that’s an issue. But, I’ll try to be more obvious in what I’m telling her to do

·
Registered
5,715 Posts
If she is that excited, maybe you can give her a small exercise session before training to burn off some excess energy.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Can you give an example of a typical training session such as, what is the first behavior you work on, how long, next behavior, etc., or how you mix things up,if you do? She doesn't know commands well if she is offering all different types of behavior.

·
Registered
30,874 Posts
Gator Snap. Yup. I think those come out of confusion and frustration, mostly frustration.

·
Registered
9,790 Posts
Deja snaps in the air when I put the ball in my pocket. Haven't found a way to stop her besides managing her by putting her in a down stay before putting the toy away in order not to get my hand in that snapping path.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts