German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

PLEASE FORWARD TO SENIOR DOG OR SHEPHERD RESCUERS ASAP! Dog is not safe in current setting.

Contact is Emily works in vet hospital - please crosspost for this boy!

Sent: Tuesday, January 11, 2011 6:23 PM
Subject: "Smokey", german shepherd needs rescue or foster (pictures included)

My name is Emily Deeds and I work at a veterinary hospital in Pleasant Ridge of Cincinnati , OH. Smokey is a German Shepherd who has been a patient at the practice I work for almost his entire life. He's a 10 year old, neutered male, and weighs about 75 pounds. Unfortunately, this poor dog has had a tough life, and now his owners, who've had him since Smokey was a puppy are giving him up.

In 2006, Smokey was diagnosed with hypothyroidism, which is manageable with medication daily and bloodwork checks once to twice a year. In September 2008, a cystotomy was performed because Smokey had bladder stones that were blocking him from urinating. Then, in the same month Smokey was still straining to urinate so he had to undergo surgery again, but this time for a urethrostomy where additional stones had to be removed because they were so severe, and an incision was left in his urethra to provide him a larger opening to urinate through so that he doesn't block if he forms stones again. In order to help prevent Smokey's urinary stones from forming, a special diet is recommended.

The reason Smokeys owners are giving him up are mainly financial. They still haven't been able to fully pay for his surgeries, and in addition to that, they don't regularly keep him on his thyroid medication or special urinary diet. Additionally, they've admitted to keeping Smokey outdoors often in a bad part of Cincinnati where they've seen neighborhood kids through rocks at him. And lastly, due to Smokey's urethral incision and long, thick coat, his urine builds in his fur and eventually burns his skin as the fur gets matted. His owners have been urged to keep him shaved and cleaned in that area, and we've even offered to do it for free but they don't make it a priority.

Despite all that has happened to this dog, Smokey has remained one of our best patients - so sweet and easy to work with. No matter what's happening to him he only wants treats and to be petted. My fear is that due to his age and health issues no one will want to adopt him. But he deserves to live out the rest of his years comforted and loved by someone with the means and will to take care of him. Please let me know if you can help.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
Will forward to my rescue contacts. This guy breaks my heart.
Mine too - :help: please, that poor old chap needs some serious TLC.....

Anja SchH3 GSD
Conor GSD
Blue BH WH T1 GSD - waiting at the Bridge :angel:

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Got this from Emily. She'll let me know if he's not safe.

From Emily:
Hi there, thanks for offering to help Smokey! He's a very special dog. I am currently working on 2 possible permanent homes for Smokey... If those do not pan out, I would love to seek whatever help you can offer!
Thanks again

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
Emily obviously cares a great deal for Smokey - he certainly has made a friend there. I'm happy that he has such a nice person looking out for him - now we just need that special home. Thanks for your effort on his behalf CampPappy....:thumbup:

Anja SchH3 GSD
Conor GSD

·
Registered
5,924 Posts
If need be I can help with transport for him as this is not far from me at all.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Update from Emily:

Still working on it... The owners are hard to deal with but I'm sure one of the homes will work out once the owners cooperate. Thanks again.

·
Registered
5,708 Posts
Any updates ????

·
Registered
7,290 Posts
Update from Emily:

Still working on it... The owners are hard to deal with but I'm sure one of the homes will work out once the owners cooperate. Thanks again.

If the owners are unable to care for the dog and have left him with the vet, then don;t see why their cooperation is needed.

·
Registered
7,466 Posts
i'm not understanding that either...???

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
I don't know the details or why the owners are hard to deal with. But Emily assured me that she would contact me if things fell through and Smokey wasn't adopted.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Smokey was safe but Ijust got an email that the new owners Rottweiler is attacking him and they can't make it work. She's already tried to make it work with the new owners. They are giving him back and HE NEEDS A HOME AGAIN. He's being picked up on Friday and right now has no where to go.
Emily has two possibilities, but we need to do a home check for one and a rescue check (who are they, are they reputable etc) for the other. As soon as i hear back from Emily I'll update and I may need help with checking adopter/rescue out.

·
Registered
7,466 Posts
oh no, poor smokey...don't remember what his "special needs" are, but nothing that's happening could be good for him.

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
oh no, poor smokey...don't remember what his "special needs" are, but nothing that's happening could be good for him.
Hypothyroid, and needs a special diet to prevent bladder stones - he has an incision in the urethra to allow more urine to pass, so that the stones don't build up - but some of it ends up in his coat, burning his skin. He needs to be kept shaved in that area. Poor guy, he can't seem to catch a break :(.....

Anja SchH3 GSD
Conor GSD

1 - 20 of 25 Posts