German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:help:hello everyone! i have a 3yr old stud, named matrix and he's always been healthy and no issues but i think in the past few weeks i have noticed something by his butt! i dont know if it's wet farts or what cause after a little while he gets a little damp i would say lol, this maybe between a reddish-brownish color around his butthole and gives an unpleasant smell around him! his stools are solid and have not noticed any blood or anything and he's totally alert, energetic, eats no problem, drinks plenty of water! it almost looks like he's having his period lol, he's not neutered! any ideas on what it could be? i have not gone to the vet yet as i wanted to get some opinions from here first! thanks for your input

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
sounds like he has an anal gland problem or could be the beginning of fistula's,,whatever, I'd be taking him to the vet asap before it gets worse, or results in fistula's which you do not want to deal with:(

·
Premium Member
16,941 Posts
Sounds like his anal glands need emptying out - I've never had to do this, so if it were my dog, I'd take him to the vet for them to do (they just press on the glands and the smelly brown liquid come out). You can ask your vet to show you how to do this if need be.

·
Registered
12,142 Posts
agree!!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What are you feeding him ? :confused:

i feed him 2 1/2 cups of royal canin kibble twice a day, a cup of raw sirloin once a day and 1 vitamin E & 2 vitamine C, 1 gelcap fishoil & 1 gelcap cod liver oil and a couple of treats! sometimes i give him raw beef bones

·
Registered
135 Posts
Not to freak you out or anything but lymphoma can also cause what you are describing. I think you would also see (feel) swollen lumps in his neck.

Like others said, I would get to the vet.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
sounds like a trip to the vet is in order.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Yep, sounds like an anal gland issue. You might want to check with local groomers too. I do not take our GSD to the groomer but I do take our cocker spaniel to the groomer because he needs a certain style “haircut”. Anyway, they also express his anal glands and it costs like $12.00. It’s very reasonable, I think.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Brody had full anal glands one time..it was stinnnkkkyyy! Be careful not to get it on yourself or clothing...you'll smell like it the rest of the day :)

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
I express the glands myself it really is easy just do it outdoors,lol My lab had terrible anal gland issues before we went grain free so I was a regular at the vet for expression. Finally they just showed me how to do it which saved me a ton of money over a 6 month period. Believe it or not there are whole videos online dedicated to anal gland expression and once you get over the shock of sticking your fingers in no mans land it's quite simple and quick to do. You may also want to consider switching to Taste of the Wild which is a grain free food and cheaper than Royal Canine which is really expensive crap food. It was the cure for my lab and has kept me away from no man's land for 7 years now:)

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
I am 95% confident that it is the anal glands. I have expressed them countless times and it often is exactly as you described. A vet or a certified, experienced groomer can express them easily for you. It's a simple procedure of massaging the glands around the anus, and they may be able to show you how to do it yourself. No pain for the dog, but should be done gently.

·
Registered
906 Posts
I really should learn how to do this myself as well! I know its easy but Im scared of hurting them!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts