German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nala, 7 months old, was stick yesterday and had an accident on our old apartment wooden floors. It was diarrhea, hence soaked into the cracks and next to the wall for a few hours while we were away. We have cleaned many times...
1. with paper towel and cleaner
2. soapy wet mop
3. soaked in natures miracle over night

despite all this, the smell is still there. I am thinking the poop its still in all the small cracks that we cannot access. Does any body have any tips for further cleaning? I am going to try vinegar next... full strength I guess.

Tips or advice on mixtures would be nice. Thanks.

·
Registered
147 Posts
have you tried a steam mop to loosen up and poo left in the cracks? or even a wet/dry vac.. do you think it went behind the baseboard?
they do have special cleaners for hardwood floors..
hope your pup is feeling better.

·
Registered
6,505 Posts
Medi-Aire Biological Odor Eliminator or Chris Christensen Miracle Air are what I use on stubborn odors. I have used them on my wooden floors...but my floors are about trashed by life with dogs so I don 't worry about putting stuff on them. So far, no problems from these products and the odors from messes gone. Never was impressed with Nature's Miracle.

·
Registered
7,151 Posts
Is there is any gaps between the floor and baseboard? you may need to remove the base board to clean what may have gotten back there. There can be some large voids behind them.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just finished soaking and wiping up the area in pure vinegar (about 25 square feet, which is where she is confined when alone). i used the whole 32 ounce bottle. It still smells!! Its faint, but strong enough. It reminds me of the same smell you find at chain doggy day care centers "covered up poop smell".

Thanks to both...
I don't really care about the floors, so I am willing to try anything. I don't own a steam mop. Its possible it went into the baseboard.... if there is one. This is a pre-war apartment building in new york city.
As for the cleaners recommended by Samba... it doesn't look like I will find these at my local pet store. Do you know of anything good I can easily find?

Thank for the wishes, but she's not feeling better. Poor thing vomited this morning. I am staying home from work to keep an eye on her. We are getting the heat wave hear and I am worried about dehydration.

·
Banned
2,306 Posts
If she is having diarrhea and vomiting, I'd be worried about parvo. I'd get her to the vet TODAY for a test to rule it out.

No advice past what has been tried and given for the smell though. :/

·
Registered
665 Posts
Sorry, no experience with what you have. But based on getting stubborn smells out of car upholstery I would suggest you coat the floor (and work into the cracks if possible) baking soda and fresh dry coffee grounds. Both are excellent deodorizers. Let them sit overnight, then sweep/vacuum up. Repeat daily until smell is gone. Good luck.

·
Registered
5,520 Posts

·
Registered
590 Posts
If she is having diarrhea and vomiting, I'd be worried about parvo. I'd get her to the vet TODAY for a test to rule it out.

No advice past what has been tried and given for the smell though. :/
Parvo was the first thing I thought of when I read a horrible leftover smell that's hard to get rid of, too.

·
Registered
48 Posts
A dog trainer recommended X-O Neutralizer for getting rid of dog accident odors. You can get it at Amazon.com and it has very high ratings there.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/X-O-Neutralizer-32-oz-Concentrate/dp/B0002XJ15U/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1342847171&sr=8-4&keywords=xo+cleaner"]http://www.amazon.com/X-O-Neutralizer-32-oz-Concentrate/dp/B0002XJ15U/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1342847171&sr=8-4&keywords=xo+cleaner[/ame]

The ingredients are non-toxic, non-corrosive, non-flammable, biodegradable and organic.

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
I've always had excellent results with Odo-Ban but don't know if it's okay to use it on hardwood floors???

1 - 17 of 17 Posts