German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any idea what this looks like? Athena has small pink dots in her ears that look kind of like bug bites. I have not noticed her scratching them at all but it has me worried.

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
I agree it looks like bug bites. Another thread I was on suggested coconut oil that was for bumps on the dog's tummy. I would try that and see if it helps. I would be concerned about ear mites, if she starts to shake her head or scratch.

·
Registered
7,289 Posts
I don't really have an answer, does she have them on her tummy too? It could be from flea or mosquito bite I suppose. You might try putting some scratchex or something similar on a cotton ball and wipe her ears with it. My lab gets breakouts on her tummy at times and I just rub in some gold bond powder and they go away. Maybe someone will come on with some better suggestions for you later.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
looks like bug bites, if he lets you touch his ears, use a cotton with witch hazel, helps to reduce redness and itching. there is also plenty over the counter for dogs at the store for bites. We use veterasin ordered online for any bug bite or wound and it works it's magic.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have not noticed these anywhere else. Her stomach is pretty covered in hair though. I checked her with a flea brush and didn't see any signs of fleas. Mosquitoes have been really bad this year and I think there are a few other biting bugs they call "chiggers". I didn't know those even bit dogs, but from reading on the web I guess they can. It has been raining off and on all summer which seems to be the conditions they thrive in. Seems like every time I take her outside I have some kind of bite on my legs maybe the same bugs are getting to her.

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
She posed so nice so we could see her ears:)

I wonder if it's fly strikes? Rusty had marks like that in his ears before. They didn't bother him and just went away. I love Vetericyn. It's my default for most things.

Some other good suggestions in this thread as well.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Vetericyn-Animal-Wound-Infection-HydroGel/dp/B005JTY2VK/ref=sr_1_17/180-0596288-7320818?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1375377269&sr=1-17&keywords=vetericyn"]
[/ame]

·
Registered
176 Posts
I agree it looks like bug bites. Another thread I was on suggested coconut oil that was for bumps on the dog's tummy. I would try that and see if it helps. I would be concerned about ear mites, if she starts to shake her head or scratch.
Yes, coconut oil will work wonders, no matter what it is, bacterial, viral, bug bites, it covers it all. Swabbing with witch hazel first is a good idea as well. I actually have the "non-alcoholic" version so it doesn't sting.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

1 - 7 of 7 Posts